Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Show log history of a directory in Source Tree

Schreini January 17, 2017

How can I show the log History of an entire directory so that I see only commits affecting files in this directory?

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Johannes Kilian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2017

I haven't seen anything like this yet.

As far as I understood git yet, git does not handle directories - it simply handles files (for example you cannot add an empty directory to git). git is not aware of the concept of directories. As Sourcetree is mainly a git GUI-Frontend, SourceTree is also (mainly) directory agnostic.

Callum Barker August 8, 2018

Still not possible in Sourcetree AFAIK. You can however use

gitk -- path/to/folder 

from the command line to display a GUI showing the git commits that affected a particular folder.

Like Hicham Berrada likes this
4 votes
James Dengel January 17, 2017

I do not know of a way to do this in SourceTree but using the terminal

the commands you are looking for are:

git log -- path/to/folder
git log -- path/to/folder/*

This should give you the history of the folder.

3 votes
Thomas Chen January 3, 2019

Select the directory from whichever view you want. Right-click and choose "log selected". You can even do this while looking at deleted directories in the history.

Jesús López May 24, 2019

Thank you!

ych February 17, 2020

@Thomas Chen could you please clarify how exactly you select the directory?

Like # people like this
sachelis September 22, 2021

From which view can you "select the directory"? I can select files and choose "log selected," but I don't know of anywhere within Sourcetree that I can right-click on a directory.

Like Sushil Singh likes this
Pete Fowler August 3, 2023

right clicking and selecting log selected on a folder works sometimes, but often times the log selected option is disabled. Any way to make it work all the time? Why is it disabled sometimes? Thx

1 vote
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2017

You can't do that in SourceTree. There may be a complex git command that gets you that information, but I don't know what it is.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events