Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renaming a file doesn't work

Chris Rusby June 20, 2013
I'm trying to rename a file from tradinghistory/settlementReports/2013/20130327 Report_Statement (1).csv to tradinghistory/settlementReports/2013/20130327 Report_Statement.csv. When I do this via the move command, it moves it to tradinghistory/history/settlementReports/2013/20130327 Report_Statement.csv - i.e. it adds an extraneous "history" directory in the target. If I rename source files from within IntelliJ, this works, but the same issue happens within SourceTree. Thanks

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Chris Rusby June 23, 2013

Created https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREE-1669 but I don't think I have the ability to assign to you. Thanks!

0 votes
KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 20, 2013

Hi Chris,

I've just tried this using your exact same file structure and filenames and have been unable to reproduce the problem you're describing. Could you re-test this? Are you sure there isn't another folder tradinghistory/history which has the same file structure and you're actually trying to rename that a file in that directory instead?

Thanks in advance

Hi Kieran, Thanks for your reply. It's 100% repeatable, which is good and bad I guess! I have a set of 4 jpgs which I can send you to show the problem, maybe you could let me know where I can upload them? Also, I suspect this isn't the right forum to be raising bug reports, so please let me know if there's a better place for me to be reporting this. Thanks, Chris
KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 23, 2013

Hi Chris,

You're right, JAC is where we have bug reports over at jira.atlassian.com. The project name is SRCTREE and you can assign it to me. Just detail as much as you can and we can go from there.

Thanks!

0 votes
MikeL June 20, 2013

Why don't you use your file manager to rename/move the file? You then will see an untracked and a missing file, but after committing both, the history will be linked.

Yes I can do this, but I don't see how it's going to keep track of file history. For instance if I have FileA.java and FileB.java, if I delete these and add FileC.java and FileD.java I think it would be pretty amazing if SourceTree could figure out whether FileA.java was renamed to FileC.java or FileD.java....
MikeL June 20, 2013

Not SourceTree is amazing in detected renamed file history, but Git is - and hence every Git client. Check out http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1094269/

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events