Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public/private key types for Sourcetree connection

Stephanie Workman September 25, 2014

I'm trying to connect to our git respository using SourceTree. I've not managed it yet and I believe the issue is with the type of public/private keys. Here is what I've done so far to try to resolve this issue.

1) Using Puttygen generated SSH public/private key pair
2) Loaded the key into pageant which is supposed to run in the background I thought
3) In tools/options gave the path to my ssh private key for putty
3) Attempt to clone the repository using an ssh://path  - however i get an access denied error. It keeps expecting the password for the 'banner' account. It should not I assume if the keys are working correctly. I also verified that i can directly login to the git via putty itself using the banner account and it does NOT ask me for a password.

So I dig some digging around and found some reference to using an OpenSSH key structure instead. So I did the following:

1) dumped all my old keys
2) using puttygen created new keys and copied/pasted the openSSH public key off and sent to my dba
3) verified that i could login via putty itself using the new openssh key structure
4) tried to load the open ssh private key into pageant(which is not allowed apparently)
4) in tools/options gave the path to my open ssh private key for the openssh option
4) Attempt to clone the respository using an ssh://path - it told me I had to use a different URL or switch to SSH basically

So I'm confused on exactly what TYPE of keys I should be generating and what Sourcetree is expecting.

I feel like I'm just so close and if i can resolve the keys/connection within Sourcetree I'd be able to make my connection.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Stephanie

1 answer

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 25, 2014

When generating your keys with PuTTYgen, you can (and should) create BOTH types for the same key. Steps are as follows:

1) Generate a new key (or load an existing PuTTY key with Load button or OpenSSH key with Conversions>Import Key).

2) Save both public and private keys to separate files.

3) Export OpenSSH key (Conversions menu) to a third file.

4) Upload the OpenSSH public key to most remote servers (anything *nix, including OSX), use PuTTY private key with Pageant.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events