Problems with Sourcetree: resolve conflicts using external tool (Filemerge/opendiff)

Tim Duckett June 10, 2012

I'm having problems getting SourceTree to launch Filemerge from either of the two menu options.

I see the "visual merge" dialogue box appear, and BACKUP, BASE and REMOTE files appear in the working tree. Then after about 5 seconds the dialogue box closes itself, but Filemerge doesn't launch.

Clicking the "External diff" button at top right does launch Filemerge - with 'null - /dev' in the left-hand pane, and the conflicted file in the right.

My Xcode path is /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer. Running opendiff at the command line works with no problem.

I've tried setting the preferences settings as both 'FileMerge' (with no diff command, and empty arguments) and as 'Other' with the diff command as 'opendiff' and arguments as $LOCAL $REMOTE -merge $MERGED (as per http://www.soycow.org/meep/?p=1170.

(Edited to add: this is the content of my global .gitconfig:

[diff]

tool = default-difftool

[difftool "sourcetree"]

cmd = opendiff \"$LOCAL\" \"$REMOTE\"

path =

[mergetool "sourcetree"]

cmd = /Applications/SourceTree.app/Contents/Resources/opendiff-w.sh \"$LOCAL\" \"$REMOTE\" -ancestor \"$BASE\" -merge \$

trustExitCode = true

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

7 answers

0 votes
GarethJ May 9, 2017

The fix is yet to arrove but there's a workaround at https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREE-2211

0 votes
adam0101 June 7, 2016

I noticed that SourceTree will hang if one of the files to diff had been removed. I submitted a bug regarding this. Check to see if this is your case.

0 votes
lawrencebautista November 13, 2014

I get the same problem with opendiff on mac osx 10.10. Command line works fine. Source tree does not. Please fix!

Also note that sourcetree creates backup files upon clicking "launch external merge tool", but does not launch the merge tool!

0 votes
TsurHerman November 6, 2014

Same problem as described above with tortoisemerge and with kdiff3

0 votes
Eric Lau November 28, 2013

I am seeing this issue as well as Bennett Smith. Even changing the tool back to default / non-external tool does not have any effect. Help!!!

BTW, I am using Windows version, and use beyond compare as external diff tool. The suggested link above does not help.

0 votes
Bennett Smith August 22, 2013

I am seeing the exact same issue, but my external diff/merge tool is Araxis Merge. Everything was working fine through multiple individual 3-way merges. Then, without any reason I can see, Sourcetree started acting as described above. It creates the merge files in the folder, a dialog flashes up (but goes away too quickly to read) and nothing else happens.

Does anyone have an aswer for this? It is very frustrating.

0 votes
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 11, 2012

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events