Pre-push git hook not executing via SourceTree

Hi,

I have an issue where I have a pre-push git hook, but it is not executing when pushing via SourceTree. If I push via the command line, it executes fine, and that is copying the exact git command that SourceTree is trying to execute.

I have a pre-commit hook which executes correctly from both the command line and SourceTree, so just not sure why SourceTree and my pre-push hook are not playing nice together.

I have dumbed all hooks down to a simple echo statement to ensure there is nothing wrong with the way the hooks were written, and the outcome of each combination is still the same i.e. all hooks execute except for pre-push when using SourceTree.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

3 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

It is worse. I just confirmed some information found at http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17538460/using-git-pre-commit-hooks-in-context-of-github-client/33588294#33588294 that indicates, that executing source tree from the command line (likes so: open /Applications/SourceTree.app/Contents/MacOS/SourceTree) results in the hooks working. 

I am using it and its working quite well for me

I also had this error, and applied Jürgen Simon's fix. It works great for me, so long as I remember to open the app from the command line.

Recommend adding an alias to your .bash_profile:

alias "ost"="open /Applications/SourceTree.app/Contents/MacOS/SourceTree"

or if your SourceTree is installed off your Users/[self]/Applications folder:

alias "ost"="open ~/Applications/SourceTree.app/Contents/MacOS/SourceTree"

This fix works for me (sort of) but shows me a warning on launch. Still launches though. 

Thanks Jürgen Simon!

Here is the warning:

2018-02-09 11:50:36.792 Sourcetree[48868:2392163] [Crashlytics] Version 3.9.3 (128)

2018-02-09 11:50:36.976 Sourcetree[48868:2392163] NSWindow warning: adding an unknown subview: <INMovableByBackgroundContainerView: 0x7f9215adeb20>. Break on NSLog to debug.

I also hereby confirm this bug is alive and kicking in Version 2.1 (2.1)

i still see this on 2.6.3 (134). however, it's happening with a pre-commit hook for me

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published May 30, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: configuring Git or Mercurial in Sourcetree

Supported Platforms macOS Windows To make using Sourcetree as simple yet powerful as possible we embed (bundle) dependencies such as Git, Git LFS, and Mercurial. We strive to keep these...

721 views 1 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you