Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please enter the user details you wish to associate with your comments

Chuck J March 7, 2018

This dialog pops up continuously rendering the app unusable. The details are filled out and `Use details for all repositories` is checked. Going into settings everything is filled out. You cannot dismiss this modal dialog by clicking ok.

It is impossible to use sourcetree at all in this state.

Command line git seems to function fine. This is a major bug rendering this software useless.

5 answers

3 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 13, 2018

Hi Chuck! I've seen that you've already added your comment on the bug report at SRCTREEWIN-6511.

Have you tried some of the solutions provided by the users? One of them was able to resolve this problem by selecting Repository > Repository Settings and unchecking the Use global user settings checkbox on the Advanced page. Changing git from cygwin git to the embedded version seemed to solve the problem for another one. 

You can also try a clean install by following the steps:

1. Wipe Sourcetree preferences.
  2. Uninstall Sourcetree (if it shows on the App&Features list)
  3. Backup then delete the directory below before proceeding with next step:
    • On Windows:
      • Navigate to C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local and delete Sourcetree & Sourcetree-Settings folder
      • Navigate to C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Atlassian and delete all Sourcetree Files/ folder.
    • On Mac:
      • ~/Library/Application Support/SourceTree
  4. Download SourceTree and install it.

One of our developers also posted some questions to help with the troubleshooting of the issue, but nobody replied so far, could you provide the answer to the following:

1. If you go into Tools/Options/General and fill in the Default User Details does that fix the problem?
  2. If you switch to using the latest embedded version of Git, in Tools/Options/Git tab, does that fix the problem?
  3. What version of Git you are using, and is it a system install or the embedded one?
  4. Which OS and Sourcetree version are you using?

Best regards!

Ana

Chuck J March 25, 2018

This is the latest version for windows. None of these suggestions fix the problem. As someone noted, it has something to do with the HOME environment variable.

Try using sourcetree on a windows machine with no HOME defined and you will see how intrusive this bug becomes.

Christian_Grey July 18, 2018

Ok, Chuck.

I've just had the same problem. I fixed it by SELECTING all staged files and then clicking commit

Like # people like this
John Wintermann August 8, 2018

I'm having the same issue.  Selecting the staged files does not work.  using version 2.6.10.0 on Windows 10. I have no idea if it's a system install or an embedded install.

hemaolle September 20, 2018

I can confirm that defining a new environment variable called HOME and pointing it at my user directory, then restarting Source Tree fixed the problem for me.

Like CarlOlsen likes this
Jedidiah Montgomery September 21, 2018

I can confirm that adding the HOME environment variable and point it to my user home directory works. This fixes the problem.

Guidanel September 22, 2018

The HOME trick worked for me too, thanks.

reynanparico November 3, 2018

adding the HOME environment variable worked for me too

Justin Russo October 19, 2020

Wiping the Sourcetree preferences, and regenerating the Personal Access Token in ADO worked for me.  

0 votes
Navjot Dewett April 7, 2021

I followed below steps to resolve this issue:-

1. Open GIT terminal

2. Run "git status" command to see what's pending

3. Tried to commit files using "git commit -m "<your message goes here>" . This failed for the first time but I got directions. I found my user in the config file was somehow modified.

4. Ran " git config --global --edit" and modified my username, saved the config file 

5. Tried to commit files again using "git commit -m "<your message goes here>"

AND IT WORKED THIS TIME!

I opened SourceTree again and everything was working as expected.

0 votes
Brian Hyronimus January 23, 2020

I got around this problem by clearing the checkbox for 'Allow Sourcetree to manage my credentials via the Git Credential Manager'.  This is in Tools->Options->GIT.

Sourcetree version 3.3.6

0 votes
Mahfuzul haque January 23, 2019

I have solved the issue by committing all the changes through git bash. Now sourcetree is working as usual.

0 votes
Nathan Hase September 27, 2018

I love the answers that are all snarky!
"did you hack out some of the shit that other people had to wade through to try and figure out how to make this piece of shit work properly?"

Awesome support.

"One person tried this thing and it worked and another person tried this other thing and that worked too!"

So comprehensive. It's like Atlassian goes out of their way to be as useless as possible.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events