Mac OS Maverick with ssh key from Windows 7

I have ssh key on Windows 7 machine and i don't want to generate other key on Mac OS. How can i re-use that key?

Thanks!

1 answer

There are actually two files, the public key (which you've put on remote servers) and a private key. You just need to copy the private key to your Mac. If you generated your keys with PuTTYgen, you'll need to make sure you've got the OpenSSH format for your private key if you want it to work on the Mac. PuTTYgen can convert it for you.

@Seth Foss: Thanks for your reply,

I have 4 files, 2 for github generator, 2 for PuTTY generator. I copied to ~/.ssh folder and add it to key chain. And i'm very thank if you support me step by step.

Sorry, but I don't know anything about key management in OSX. However, the OS shouldn't be able to tell the difference between a private key generated locally and one copied from another machine.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Brian Ganninger
Published Jan 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: workflow and keyboard shortcuts

Supported Platforms macOS Sourcetree has a lot to offer and, like many developer tools, finding and using it all can be a challenge, especially for a new user. Everyone might not love ...

232 views 0 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot