Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Login popup

Alexandr Kapshuk February 23, 2018

When I pull, I get this window

1002.png

Even though I enter correct username and password, it keeps popping out. The pull doesn't complete, this is the error:

git -c diff.mnemonicprefix=false -c core.quotepath=false fetch origin
fatal: HttpRequestException encountered.
An error occurred while sending the request.

remote: Invalid username or password.
fatal: Authentication failed

I am able to pull through command line, but not through the sourcetree interface. Please help!

3 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Andrew Magill February 24, 2018

The problem is that SourceTree's embedded Git client comes with git-credential-manager v1.12, which no longer works with Github since they disabled TLS 1.1 on their site.  You need to get git-credential-manager v1.14.  Easiest way to do that is to install a current copy of the Git client separately, and then switch SourceTree over to use that ("system git") instead of its embedded client.  Alternatively, you can update git-credential-manager in your embedded client by replacing its files with the newest version from Microsoft.

(This text here because this site doesn't allow me to post the same message in multiple threads, even when it's the answer to all of them.)

Alexandr Kapshuk February 26, 2018

Thank you, it worked! 

I tried downloading git-credential-manager v1.14 first, but then I couldn't manage to make SourceTree use it. So I updated git-credential-manager in my embedded client. 

Umberto Gilardi
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 7, 2018

Thank you very much! it worked

Thomas Laussermair October 4, 2018

Thanks for this solution. Caused some frustration until I found this article.

The folks at https://www.sourcetreeapp.com/ should replace their download package to include the newer git-credential-manager v1.14. It's more than 7 months after this question was posted and I ran into this just yesterday.

Like # people like this
manuSaiz December 3, 2018

Hi, I am having the very same problem, only that I already had Credential thingy v.14, tried updating to v.18, problem persists.

Then I updated GIT.

Problem persists.

Tried changing from embeded to system, problem persists.

Tried updating embeded one, it wont finish updating because problem persists, which also spawns a dozen more login windows.

Also tried reseting all passwords,

updating sourcetree

and even reinstalling sourcetree.

Also tried removing all saved passwords, and guess what?

Yes

Problem persists.

Like Rob Minson likes this
anhhtz
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 20, 2019

Perfect !

Lê Văn Quân
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 19, 2019

Thank you, it worked.

0 votes
Jonathan Levin
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 19, 2020

This started happening to me.

It's infuriating how brittle auth is in SourceTree- to the point where for every person I teach git to I _tell them_ auth is hacky and we should set aside a few minutes to play with OAuth/Basic to get it to work. Still problems pop up once every month or so.

There are also GUI issues that go unresolved for years.

Oh well, guess it's finally time to try GitKraken!

0 votes
Mike Corsaro
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 23, 2018

Hello! Could you try the following:

• Remove the account via the options screen
  • Try pulling again
  • Insert your username + password

If that doesn't work, try adding the GitHub account with OAuth:

• Options > Accounts
  • Add a new account, but set "Authentication" to "OAuth"
  • Login, switch back to Sourcetree
  • Try pulling again
Alexandr Kapshuk February 25, 2018

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that, it didn't help, still have this login window popping up when I'm trying to pull

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events