Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I cant push my changes because of something I might have done

David Scott January 1, 2015

Hello, I’m trying to push some changes but I keep getting this message: ‘Updates were rejected because the tip of your current branch is behind. hint: its remote counterpart. Integrate the remote changes (e.g.hint: 'git pull ...') before pushing again.’

The problem is that I don’t want to pull any changes before pushing as that version contains a bug I'm trying to avoid.

This issue could be due to me doing something in Sourcetree when trying to go back to a previous commit that left me with this purple line/branch: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8176796/Screen%20Shot%202015-01-01%20at%2011.45.40.png

Many thanks

David

4 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 8, 2015

If you are ok with losing the buggy commit completely, you can "force" the push (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5509543/how-do-i-properly-force-a-git-push).

If anyone else has also cloned the repo, their git client will git very confused the next time they fetch/pull. If that is your situation, you might consider doing the pull/merge, then "reversing" the buggy commit (basically creates a new commit that does the opposite of the changes in the commit that is being reversed).

David Scott January 10, 2015

Hello Seth, I work alone so I don't think those issues would be a problem but I couldn't seem to find any 'force' option after I clicked on Push?

Balázs Szakmáry
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 11, 2015

There is no force push option in SourceTree. You have to do this from the command line or another Git client (e.g. Git Extensions).

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 12, 2015

Balazs is right, my bad. I updated my answer with a link on how to do this from the command line.

David Scott January 24, 2015

Thanks guys, it took a while but it worked in the end :)

Josh Winkelstein August 14, 2019

In 3.1.3, the SourceTree I am most familiar with, there is a "Force Push" checkbox available on the screen after you click "Push" on the tool bar.  Before using it you do have to enable it by going Tools/Options/Git tab and check "Enable Force Push".

Like # people like this
0 votes
Manoj Baghel September 13, 2019

Hi David,

If you are facing this issues and there are multiple files in your local branch which needs to be pulled first into your MASTER branch, then you must run '$ git pull --all' first.

Then, check the status by running "$ git status" on top of it, and if you see any modified files, then you need to 'add' and 'commit' those files first.

Once its done, you can then PUSH the changes to your MASTER branch and this will sync-up your MASTER branch with your local branch.

Hope this helps...!!

0 votes
David Scott January 8, 2015

Hi Sorry I missed this, yes please thats exactly what I'm looking for :)

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 1, 2015

Are you wanting to force the buggy commit in the remote to be lost?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events