I cant push my changes because of something I might have done

Hello, I’m trying to push some changes but I keep getting this message: ‘Updates were rejected because the tip of your current branch is behind. hint: its remote counterpart. Integrate the remote changes (e.g.hint: 'git pull ...') before pushing again.’

The problem is that I don’t want to pull any changes before pushing as that version contains a bug I'm trying to avoid.

This issue could be due to me doing something in Sourcetree when trying to go back to a previous commit that left me with this purple line/branch: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8176796/Screen%20Shot%202015-01-01%20at%2011.45.40.png

Many thanks

David

3 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

If you are ok with losing the buggy commit completely, you can "force" the push (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5509543/how-do-i-properly-force-a-git-push).

If anyone else has also cloned the repo, their git client will git very confused the next time they fetch/pull. If that is your situation, you might consider doing the pull/merge, then "reversing" the buggy commit (basically creates a new commit that does the opposite of the changes in the commit that is being reversed).

Hello Seth, I work alone so I don't think those issues would be a problem but I couldn't seem to find any 'force' option after I clicked on Push?

There is no force push option in SourceTree. You have to do this from the command line or another Git client (e.g. Git Extensions).

Balazs is right, my bad. I updated my answer with a link on how to do this from the command line.

Thanks guys, it took a while but it worked in the end :)

Are you wanting to force the buggy commit in the remote to be lost?

Hi Sorry I missed this, yes please thats exactly what I'm looking for :)

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published May 30, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: configuring Git or Mercurial in Sourcetree

Supported Platforms macOS Windows To make using Sourcetree as simple yet powerful as possible we embed (bundle) dependencies such as Git, Git LFS, and Mercurial. We strive to keep these...

886 views 2 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you