It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to "force" push?

When I click the "Push" button in the SourceTree window I get a window asking me to select the desired branch and at the bottom of this window there is an option to "Force Push" (which is necessary after a rebase). Unfortunately, this option is grayed-out and I am not able to select it. Why is this option not selectable?

I'm using Sourcetree 2.4.7.0 on Windows 10

1 answer

1 accepted

13 votes
Answer accepted
Mike Corsaro Atlassian Team Feb 02, 2018

Hello! A force push is a potentially dangerous operation as it rewrites history, therefore the ability to do so is locked behind a setting in the Options menu:

forcepush.PNG

Thank you Mike. I found the option you mention and indeed "Force Push" is now selectable. Thanks.

By the way, when did this change? I have been using Sourcetree for a long time and I don't remember ever having to enable "Force push".

Mike Corsaro Atlassian Team Feb 02, 2018

This change happened quite a long time ago -- around version 1.9 which was released in Dec of 2016

That's surprising because I have been rebasing and force pushing in 2017. It's only in the last few weeks (maybe few months, I can't remember exactly when I noticed this issue) that the option became grayed out and prevented me from force pushing.

Anyway... it's working now so I'm happy.

One more comment: in order for me to force push I have to check the "Force Push" checkbox in the "Push" window, and then I get another window telling me that "one or more branch is selected to force push. This may result in a destructive operation" and asking me to confirm that I really want to force push. Is a "Enable Force Push" global setting really necessary? I understand force pushing is potentially dangerous but I must already take two actions to demonstrate that I really want to perform this action. Is a third failsafe really necessary?

If Atlassian feels that this global setting is necessary, I suggest a tooltip that would show up when I hover my mouse over the grayed out "Force Push" and would say something like: "in order to enable this option you must enable the global option and thus demonstrate that you understand the potentially dangerous nature of force pushing".

Like # people like this

Sourcetree for the Mac has Allow force push under the Advanced tab in Preferences.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Sourcetree

Sourcetree for Windows - CVE-2019-11582 - Remote Code Execution vulnerability

A vulnerability has been published today in regards to Sourcetree for Windows.  The goal of this article is to give you a summary of information we have gathered from Atlassian Community as a st...

4,984 views 0 12
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you