How can I use Sourcetree on multiple devices?

Deleted user June 5, 2014

I have just begun using Sourcetree however I work from multiple locations on multiple devices. My repository is stored on OneDrive so that I have access to it from which ever computer I'm working on and it is always up-to-date.

Is there a way I can configure Sourcetree to allow me to connect and work with this repository on any device I'm at?

I have tried and the install works fine and Sourcetree recognises the repository with no problem. However when I start making changes to files on one machine it begins throwing up numerous different errors either on that machine, or in Sourcetree on the machine not being used.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 5, 2014

I am guessing not. You won't find too many application that does that kind of thing.

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 8, 2014

Agreed. If you insist on sharing your repo with OneDrive (or any other file sharing service) you should at least make sure SourceTree is only running on one machine at a time. While it may make sense to you (James) to keep your working copy in sync that way, it sounds to me like you are asking for corruption of the hidden git files that are also part of your repo.

Deleted user June 8, 2014

Ok, I understand what you are saying. Just to check, is it fine to have source tree working from the same cloud saved repository, so long as it's not open on two machines simultaneosuly i.e. can I turn Sourcetree on and off based on the machine I'm using? If not, is there an alternative that provides a central repository and allows the kind of usage scenario I'm looking for.

Thanks.

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 8, 2014

I won't say it is "fine" to do what you want as long as you only have SourceTree active on one machine at a time, but it is more likely to be.

Pretty much any version control system worth its salt will support a centralized model, including Git. The catch is that none of them (for good reasons) will update your working copy automatically. You need to push/pull, commit/update, etc.

If you like SourceTree and Git, you can use Bitbucket or GitHub as a central repository. Bitbucket in particular will have some SourceTree-specific instructions (both are owned by Atlassian).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events