Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Git Tutorial Using SourceTree?

Evan Cowden March 19, 2013

The SourceTree site makes a big deal that it's perfect for Git newbies. I've recommended it to several newbies, but the problem I keep running into is that Git newbies need to walk through a Git tutorial, and all Git tutorials I can find are written for the command line. As newbie-friendly as it is, we've found that SourceTree is only really useful for people with at least an intermediate understanding of Git.

I guess our question is: are there any Git tutorials like, say, http://gitimmersion.com/, that are written for SourceTree instead of the console?

If not: that would be a super-awesome killer addition to the Git community for those that want to get into Git but are console averse.

14 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 19, 2013

Hi Evan,

We do a Git tutorial site here: http://www.atlassian.com/git

You're right in that we probably need to link to this. It is a tool that can be used by beginners, some concepts need to be understood first, but they don't take long at all. Once you understand things such as committing, pushing and setting up a remote you're on your feet.

There is built-in help with SourceTree

Hope that helps

Costin Lucian February 17, 2015

i've just went into your tutorial page, but i find it is rather a tutorial of git instead of sourcetree. Your tutorial lists a number of commands, but it's not clear to me where one would enter/run these commands. I thought you have an integrated system and that those would be explained - how to use the buttons , icons,menus of sourcetree GUI. Yes, i'm a windows user, having similar problems like the other guys who posted below.

Candace Sommer-Van Auken November 10, 2015

That "built-in help with SourceTree" mentioned above? It is not accessible on the Mac (OS X) in version 2.0.5.5 of SourceTree. Choosing SourceTree Help from the Help menu brings up a blank page.

4 votes
Karen DuBrucq May 15, 2015

Is there documentation for SourceTree on windows?  We have some users that are really struggling and it would be helpful if I could point them to a tutorial or help files.

JoCo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 8, 2017
Christopher Watson May 8, 2017

Thats great, John. You might want to add that link to the KB at https://confluence.atlassian.com/sourcetreekb

Fred Riley May 9, 2017

Better late than never.

PS: My initial "reply was not accepted" due to "inappropriate language" (of which there was none) or "spam" (of which there was none) - D'OH!. It's taken 4 edits to get it into an 'acceptable' format - are you sure that your parser is strict enough? ;-\

2 votes
zierlmarco June 30, 2015

I think it is really embarrassing, that Atlassian is apparently not able to include a windows documentation that already exists in the mac version for over 2 years. Like Sean Mann said, just copy and paste it in any format, what the f$§&!

I will not use SourceTree anymore, and will tell anyone to avoid it because of this.

2 votes
Deleted user April 18, 2014

Hi guys,

It's 6 months from this conversation, and there's still no help in the Windows version. What's up with that? Is it expected soon?

Given that you use some non-standard terminology from regular GIT functionality, it's a bit difficult to do complete GIT source management. Like another writer here, I'll be going back to my combination of GIT Bash and Git Extensions.

Thanks!

M

KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 22, 2014

I've been hoping to find time to port all the docs to Confluence. There's no quick and easy way to have built in documentation that's easily manageable, so I think sticking it on our Confluence area is going to be the best bet in the interim until we find a better solution.

Christopher Watson May 22, 2014

I think that's a great idea, Kieran. Wish I could help! :)

Christopher Watson July 30, 2015

@Kieran Senior [Atlassian] Over a year ago, you made the excellent suggestion of loading the SourceTree documentation into Confluence. Has that happened?

grant little December 18, 2015

@Christopher Watson [Rev Agency] version 1.7.0.32509 on windows. Still no help. Talk about a time waster, after wading my way through all this thread I finally found the help online: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/SOURCETREEKB/SourceTree+Basics

1 vote
Sean Mann June 30, 2015

This is pretty wonky. Where's the help for windows? I  just want an overview of the GUI it's been over 2 years, just publish a PDF cheeky

1 vote
johnbarnaby October 27, 2014

Just love the 'new' Git tutorials specifically the Gitflow Workflow with the only caveat being it would be great if they had screenshots using Sourcetree instead of just the command line.

1 vote
Rob Newman February 12, 2014

What I think is missing from the help documenation, is maybe some of the NON git command features.. such as an explanation of the icons, some funtional, some appearntly informational but not sure what they mean, and numbers with arrows next to them in various places, which there is a fair amount of in this app

1 vote
Cedric Walter November 7, 2013

in between you can download sourcetree for mac (latest is 1.7.4.1), unpack the directory

SourceTree_1.7.4.1.dmg\0.hfs\SourceTree\SourceTree.app\Contents\Resources\SourceTree Help\

to see the html help of sourcetree for mac...

johnbarnaby April 26, 2014

@Cedric Walter, thanks for the tip and for 'SourceTree Version 1.8.1' I am seeing this documentation by opening up using a browser index.html located at: '/Applications/SourceTree.app/Contents/Resources/SourceTree Help/index.html' on my late 2013 iMac running OS X 10.9.2, but I do not see a way to access this specific documentation from within the SourceTree App itself so if anybody knows thanks in advance for posting your solution.

KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 27, 2014

It's where it is for all Mac apps:

Help > SourceTree Help.

Cheers

johnbarnaby April 27, 2014

@Kieran Senior, thanks and just reinstalled SourceTree and now I am seeing SourceTree Help. By the way, the discussion on Git Flow in the SourceTree Help documentation is a wonderful addition which I will definitely be following as it really simplifies the whole branching process using this Git branching model so kudos to SourceTree for adding this functionality and for having this tool which seems more productive than working from the command line.

KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 28, 2014

The Help docs for SourceTree are vastly out of date, we're hatching a battle plan to tackle the docs in a cleaner, more understandable manner that's available both online and offline.

I also use git-flow in a project, and it's much easier using it from the app than from the terminal, just because you immediately see the changes reflected in the log once you perform the operation in SourceTree. Always good to hear it's helping!

Cheers

Was your battle plan for docs ever hatched? Or did it rot in the shell? Your post is over a year old, and I don't see that anything has been done... even to simply port the Mac help files over to Windows. Holy moly! Isn't there SOME way to export the Mac help files out to a PDF, or any other kind of platform-independent format for consumption by all of your Windoes users? I can't, for the life of me, come up with any valid technical reasons for not being able to provide the Mac help over on Windows. But I'd love to be told those reasons.

1 vote
Lex Macy July 9, 2013

@Kiernan (or anyone), where is the Help screens you have pictured above? It is not listed under the "Help" menu tab in the SourceTree UI and I am unable to find it via google search either. Why isn't there any 'official' documentation on the SourceTree website for beginners using this tool? Thanks.

KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 10, 2013

Hi Lex,

If you're using the Mac version (which is what I had shown) then under the "Help" menu "SourceTree Help" menu item.

If you're using Windows unfortunately there's no help documentation yet, but we are working on it.

Thanks

Ryan Neve March 11, 2015

almost two years later, there still isn't

Fred Riley July 30, 2015

Over 2 years later, and there still isn't :(

0 votes
Mitul Doshi November 27, 2013

Hi,

I am also advise to prepare user training materials for Sourcetree for Windows.

Could you please help if any exisiting doc/help/ppt/pdf/video is there?

0 votes
Hashim TK October 22, 2013

Eagerly waiting for your tutorial on windows

0 votes
Mike Daddo September 2, 2013
Is there some way you can dump the Mac help files into a PDF or the like for us Windows user. I'm a newbie and this was recommended to me, but no tutorial or help files makes it tough going.
KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 1, 2013

We're planning on expanding the help on both Mac and Windows in the future, sit tight and it'll be here before you know it. Cheers!

I've been sitting tight. And now my butt really hurts. How long does it take to port some help files? Wow....

Sean Mann July 1, 2015

2 years...

zierlmarco July 1, 2015

This is actually the first great/professionell tool i have come across that does not have ANY documentation - at leat not in the windows version. Maybe they want us to switch to MacOS?

0 votes
Sotirca Mihai July 24, 2013

just started using it on windows and this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnkiKrruJiE really helped

Suejung Huh October 1, 2013

Hey, that video is not in English. :-)

0 votes
Lex Macy July 10, 2013

Thanks, Kiernan. Yes, I am on a windows box. I'll go back to using command line.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events