Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(Feature Request) command line tool

Jocelyn Mallon October 17, 2011

Hi,

Before switching to Sourcetree I was a gitx user, and also evaluated git-tower, and both of those apps feature a command line tool, to launch their app from a repository.

I found an earlier request for this at the old sourcetree site here:

http://support.sourcetreeapp.com/discussions/suggestions/126-invoking-sourcetree-from-the-command-line

However with the current version of sourcetree (1.2.81/1.2.8.1) invoking it from the command line with that command:

open $1 -a sourcetree

results in somewhat unexpected and annoying behavior. Sourcetree does not recognize repositories opened this way that already have bookmarks, so it 1) always prompts (sometimes two or three times) to create a new bookmark, and 2) it does not remember any window settings for the repository, even if you create a new bookmark from the popup.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 17, 2011

Thanks for pointing out the issue with the bookmarks; this is down to the initialisation order when ST is launched this way. As I've mentioned, being on the App Store limits what SourceTree is allowed to do here (and it's getting stricter if anything), but I'll try to at least make ST behave better when you set this up yourself in future.

Beign tracked here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREE-385

0 votes
Glyn Normington October 18, 2011

SourceTree is terrific, but with a large number of git repositories, the ability to launch it from the command line and have it navigate to the window corresponding to the git repository of the directory I'm currently in would be very useful - like gitx used to do.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events