Does anyone experience the branch selector hopping around?

Deleted user March 28, 2012

We've started a new practice of naming our developer branches in git with <inititals>/<branch_name>. So I might have CC/adding_feature_X. The nice thing is this will group all of my branches in a folder and not pollute the branch space for other developers. They just close the reveal arrow and all of my branches are hidden behind a folder named CC. This promotes the good practice of pushing branches up to the remote to avoid hard drive failure.

Since we've started doing this I've noticed that I'm often not viewing the branch I think I'm viewing. SourceTree doesn't actually switch branches, but it is as if I clicked on that other branch to view it's graph view. This is really annoying.

I think I've tracked it down to the following:

> CC

\__ adding_feature_X

_ development

_ master

_ release

If the CC folder is expanded to show my adding feature branch but I highlight master after a few seconds it hops to highlighting development. I think if I do a Refresh it will always jump after that so it might be that it just jumps when SourceTree polls and refreshes in the background. However, if I close the folder it doesn't seem to hop around.

Does anyone else see this?

We really like tidying up our branches and grouping them this way. I'm not sure if anyone has drawbacks for this kind of practice but this behavior is really annoying when you're trying to analyze the commit graph and comments.

thanks,

chuck

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 28, 2012

There was a bug up to 1.3.2 where depending on the timing of the refresh between the log view content and the sidebar content, the last sidebar selection could end up overriding the log view selection, if you'd changed it. This has been fixed in 1.3.3, which is available now for people who download direct from http://sourcetreeapp.com (the Mac App Store update is waiting for Apple to review it).

Deleted user March 28, 2012

I've been running 1.3.3 since about 15 minutes after I heard an update was out. It seems like it started about that long ago now that I think about it but that is also about the same time we started grouping branches. I've asked another colleague of mine to look for the behavior as well but it seems now I can reproduce it everytime I have the folder revealing the branch and do a refresh.

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 28, 2012

Hmm, OK this must be a different problem. I can recreate it if there are items below the expanded branch folder; the sidebar selection jumps but the log view doesn't (which was the fix in 1.3.3, but that was not about the sidebar changing selection).

I'll look into it.

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 29, 2012

I believe I've fixed this now, please try this test build and let me know: http://downloads.atlassian.com/software/sourcetree/SourceTree_testbuild.zip

Deleted user March 29, 2012

Yep -- whatever tweak you had in that build did it. I've forced refresh as well as let it refresh on its own and the highlighted branch is no longer changing. Thanks for the quick turnaround!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events