Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable smart quotes in commit window?

Jeremy Kay December 12, 2013

Is there a way to permanently disable smart quotes and smart dashes in the commit window? Some of our deploys fail because git complains about the unicode characters.

When I right-click and uncheck Substitutions > Smart Quotes and Substitutions > Smart Dashes it does not remember the setting.

It would be ideal to be able to turn off all spelling "correction" and any other text substitions in this window.

I'm on OS 10.9 and Sourcetree 1.7.4.1.

Thanks.

5 answers

0 votes
Chris Novak June 21, 2021

LOL, I just found this issue, and it's EIGHT YEARS OLD.

Obviously, Atlassian doesn't care about their users. Never has, never will.

0 votes
fingolfin January 29, 2014

I think SourceTree should just always disable the various "smart" substitutions in the commit dialog. The will almost never make sense, and if somebody wants to use "smart" quoties etc., well, they can still enter them manually.

0 votes
Jeremy Kay January 29, 2014

I had to turn off the setting site wide in order to prevent sourcetree from replacing quotes and dashes in the commit dialog. Ideally it could be disabled just for sourcetree, but this works for me for now.

Go to System Prefs > Keyboard

Choose the Text tab.

Uncheck "Use smart quotes and dashes"

0 votes
fingolfin January 13, 2014

Same over here! This is *reall* annoying. For now I partially worked around this by changing the system wide "smart dash" settings to use the regular " and ' (so nothing happens), but this is only partially solving the problems, as it still converts -- to a dash.

I really hope the SourceTree team will fix this soon.

0 votes
Reno Brown December 20, 2013

I'm experiencing the same issue with OSX 10.8.5 and Sourcetree 1.8.0.3.

I've resorted to using the command line for my recent usage of git, as I cannot seem to turn off text substitutions permanently for SourceTree, even though I've turned them off system wide.

The text substitution settings reset as soon as I hit the "commit" button again.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events