Custom "Repository action" fails due to "could not read Password ... Device not configured"

I have set up a few Custom Actions in SourceTree, and they have all worked fine for me. For instance, I have some custom cherry-pick commands that I use from time to time:

• Name: Cherry Pick (mainline=1)
    Script to run: /Applications/SourceTree.app/Contents/Resources/git_local/bin/git
    Parameters: cherry-pick $SHA -m 1
  • Name: Cherry Pick (mainline=2)
    Script to run: /Applications/SourceTree.app/Contents/Resources/git_local/bin/git
    Parameters: cherry-pick $SHA -m 2
  • Name: Cherry Pick (no commit)
    Parameters: cherry-pick -n $SHA

However, I just created a new Custom Action that operates on the repository in general (not on a specific commit) and I just can't get it to work. Here is its description:

• Name: Push (force)
    Parameters: push --force

Each time I attempt to execute this Custom Action, I get this error:

git push --force
could not read Password for 'https://farmerpaul@github.com': Device not configured
Completed with errors, see above

Does anyone have any idea why there is this authentication error when I try to simply to do a "git push --force" via a Custom Action?

5 answers

This might be a silly question, but can you do a git push --force outside of this custom action generally?

Yup, that's working fine, but only if I use /usr/bin/git (which is the default). If I try to use /Applications/SourceTree.app/Contents/Resources/git_local/bin/git to do a push --force, it fails with a slightly different error:

fatal: Unable to find remote helper for 'https'

But it seems to fail with the former error in SourceTree, regardless of which git binary I choose for the Custom Action.

Well, this is a known error, and the answer is to use SSH instead of HTTPS, but that's not satisfactory. I'll take a deeper look and see what's going on here.

It's worth trying SSH (although requires a bit of setting up). We've got a guide here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/BITBUCKET/Using+the+SSH+protocol+with+Bitbucket

I'll still look into this HTTPS issue in the meantime, but I suspect using SSH in your case will resolve the issue.

Thanks for checking into it. I don't really care which protocol I use, so long as it's easy enough to set up. You've made me such a sucker for GUIs since SourceTree; the less I have to set up via the command line, the better!

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Brian Ganninger
Published Jan 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: workflow and keyboard shortcuts

Supported Platforms macOS Sourcetree has a lot to offer and, like many developer tools, finding and using it all can be a challenge, especially for a new user. Everyone might not love ...

258 views 0 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot