You're on your way to the next level! Join the Kudos program to earn points and save your progress.
Level 1: Seed
25 / 150 points
1 badge earned
Challenges come and go, but your rewards stay with you. Do more to earn more!
What goes around comes around! Share the love by gifting kudos to your peers.
Keep earning points to reach the top of the leaderboard. It resets every quarter so you always have a chance!
Join now to unlock these features and more
I hope that subject line isn't confusing. :)
I am using Sourcetree and am pretty familiar with Git having used it via Bash for several years now. In Sourcetree if I take the repository URL that is hosted in Bitbucket which looks like:
Then select Clone, add in the URL, choose Advanced Options and select Recurse Submodules - this will clone successfully.
If instead I add a Remote Account (which Sourcetree tells me makes cloning even easier (!)), search for my repository and then select Clone, it will clone the supermodule, but fail on the submodule with the error "fatal: error in sideband demultiplexer"
Which I have no idea what it means.
My Sourcetree settings are:
SSH Key is loaded via SSH Client PuTTY/Plink. This loads automatically and I enter my passkey and I can see it in the taskbar process. My public key is added to Bitbucket. I am on Sourcetree version 188.8.131.52 and Authenticaion is set to:
I've spent a few hours trying to figure out what this may be, and have cloned several submodule enabled repositories to see if it is isolated, but it isn't. It happens on them all - only when selecting 'Clone' from the Remote repositories screen. If I manually paste the clone URL in it works fine. Very confused.
As discussed through the Support Ticket.
After several testing, I'm suspecting that error "error in sideband demultiplexer" appears related to Putty SSH Agent. Git Bash uses Open SSH by default and Source Tree uses Putty SSH Client by default.
Since it works on Git Bash which uses Open SSH, changing Source Tree to use Open SSH for its SSH Client works as you have tested. I would suggest to changing it to use OpenSSH as the SSH Client moving forward.
To change SSH Client on Source Tree, navigate to : Tools > Options > General >> SSH Client Configuration >> SSH Client > Select OpenSSH.