Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot connect to Mercurial Repos in SourceTree for Windows

keith-ministryotech March 18, 2013

Is Mercurial support there? If this is Git only I am very sad.

7 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Matt Henning March 20, 2013

While I think it is great you have created a git and mercurial (coming soon) gui client for Windows, I think the way you have handled the lack of mercurial is piss poor.

A couple of suggestions:

1) On the webpage for download, somewhere state that it is Git only for now on Windows.

2) When I try and add a Mercurial directory I get an error message that says "The Path is not a valid Git or Mercurial repository working copy". That is a HORRIBLE error message! It should either just say "not a a valid Git repository" or it should say "we currently do not support Mercuial on Windows, but it will be coming soon". I spent way to long trying to understand why my mercurial repos were not being imported.

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 20, 2013

The error message was ported over from the Mac without fixing it for our temporary lack of hg, I'll change that for the moment. I agree the fact that hg is coming soon should be more explicit on the website, I'm arguing with people internally on that front.

Simon Lieschke March 24, 2013

Totally agreed. It was only after searching online and landing at this question after trying to add a Mercurial repository that I discovered it's currently not supported.

Tahir Khalid June 22, 2015

I have this exact same issue. Was looking to replace hg workbench with something newer and had heard good things about SourceTree but utterly dissappointed. Clunky unintuitive in many places which is alarming when it initially looks really slick but I had a nightmare trying to handle Mercurial repo's with the latest version of SourceTree (read 2015) it threw that same error mentioned above and keeps trying to treat Mercurial repo's as git ones! I love Atlassian products but this isn't their finest moment, gonna give SmartGit/Hg another go, it imrpessed the pants off me the last time.

Tahir Khalid June 22, 2015

I just resolved this after commenting above! Still find SourceTree clunky to use but I have resolved the repository issue. You will need to do a fresh clone manually using something like hg command line tools (I use git-bash with hg support). Once you have a fresh local copy of the source you should be able to hook it up to SourceTree

1 vote
Joe Staroba May 29, 2013

I think everyone needs to relax. As far as I know, we (as a community) are not doing a single thing to help make Mercurial support for windows a reality. This workload falls on the developers who are willing to work very hard and give the product away for FREE. Let's cut them some slack and have a little patience.

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 29, 2013

Thanks Joe. Work on Mercurial support has started, we'll be getting it to people as soon as we can.

1 vote
Alan Norbauer May 11, 2013

I just wanted to chime in and add that this was very frustrating to read. Everything indicates Mercurial support. I downloaded the software, installed .NET 4.5, rebooted for that, created a license key and imported it, setup my ssh key, all to find out that it just doesn't support Mercurial.

Verrrry frustrating.

1 vote
Nick Evgeniev April 22, 2013

frontpage for sourcetree app is misleading!!! it says THERE IS MERCURIAL support, but it's simply not true :( what's the point of releasing a tool w/o advertised functionality?? killed two hours first to install and second to relize that there is no way to connect to mercurial repo :((

1 vote
materemias March 19, 2013

it were really great to have Mercurial support asap

KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 19, 2013

As soon as we're able to get it in there, we will. It's high up on the list and we'll let the community know the status of Mercurial support :)

Steve Ulrich March 20, 2013

One would think that pronouncing a "A free Git & Mercurial client for Windows or Mac." that doesn't support Mercurial at all, is the exact opposite of letting "the community know the status of Mercurial support".

0 votes
Zach Thibeau May 3, 2013

agreed, the product page is HIGHLY misleading, while I understand it's supposed to be arriving soon, but the heart of the matters is that it's still misleading saying that it supports mercurial when at this point it does not, almost makes me want to uninstall it, BUT I will not, I will patiently wait for mercurial support, until then I shall be using tortoisehg

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 5, 2013

Apologies for the confusion, the page itself only says Git on Windows but the metadata / title can't be dynamic per platform. Luckily this will all go away once Mercurial support is added, which will be as soon as we can.

0 votes
KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 18, 2013

Hi Keith,

Only Git is supported at the moment, but Mercurial support is planned for version 1.0.

Cheers

keith-ministryotech March 18, 2013

I am indeed (for the meantime anyway) sad.

It seems that Mercurial is becoming more and more a second class citizen these days.

Thanks anyway.

KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 19, 2013

Don't worry, we don't treat Mercurial second class - we had to appeal to the masses first, and Git is more popular. Mercurial support has been planned from the start, we didn't plan it in by request (we personally use Mercurial, too)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events