Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can not Upload a project to a GitBucket repository?

Mark Linthicum April 11, 2012

I am new to this app, i set up a repository on Bitbucket. In the youtube video it showed how you can drag your local folders into the Bookmarks window and they are added to the repository but this does not work for me. The file does not stick

i think i have done everything correctly, I have my account set up on bitBucket, I see it when i click hosted Projects but it is empty?

Sorry for the newby question, i am not a programer.

Any help would be apreciated.

Thanks, Mark

2 answers

1 vote
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 11, 2012

You can only drag folders that are already git/hg repositories into the bookmarks window. To create a new git or hg repository in your source folder, use the File > New option, pick the 'Create Repository' tab and point it at your source folder. You will then need to add the files you want to be tracked and commit them.

As for the Hosted Projects window being empty, you probably haven't created any repositories on Bitbucket yet (just creating an account gives you the ability to create repositories, but doesn't create any for you). You can either create a project via the Bitbucket web interface (Repositories > Create Repository), or if you've set up your Bitbucket account in SourceTree already then you can create one from the Hosted Projects window using the 'Create New Repository' button in the bottom left. The best way to do this is to do it at the same time as setting up the remote for the local repository you created above - once you've created the local repo, click on the 'Settings' button on the toolbar, click 'Add' in the remotes section, check 'Default remote', then click the 'Globe' button, which will open the Hosted Projects window. You can click the Create New Repository button here, then after it's created just pick that new Bitbucket repo entry to use as your remote. You can then push your commits to this Bitbucket repo.

0 votes
Mark Linthicum April 11, 2012

Thanks Steve, i will see if i can follow your instructions.

Mark

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events