Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are .vscode/* and .vscode/ indeed different or is it just Sourcetree not working right?

chlwovlf September 1, 2019

I'm not so familiar with CLI git so I use Atlassian's Sourcetree to manage my Git.

However, I've found out that Sourcetree doesn't recognize .gitignore's directory with tailing asterisk(*).

i.e, .vscode/ is ignored while .vscode/* is not ignored.

Items like .vscode/settings.json keep appearing in the unstaged area.

As far as I know, * is a wildcard for any file/subdirectory in the directory so this should not happen.

My .gitignore extension creates all the items like /* so now I have to manually change all that to / to avoid staging what I don't wanna commit.

I can't test out if this is a normal behavior in any Git applications or the native git itself because Sourcetree is the only Git management I know of. Is it something that would also happen in traditional CLI git?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 1, 2019

@chlwovlfgit be default uses globbing patterns (https://linux.die.net/man/7/glob)

There can be two reasons with SourceTree behaviour,

1. Sourcetree has some issue with pattern matching etc. (may be a bug)
  2. Your folder `.vscode` was earlier part of git and you have removed it just by adding to '.gitignore' and have not removed it from git  itself.
    1. If this is the case, try
    2. # git rm --cached -r .
      # git add .

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events