Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are spare checkouts supported ?

Frédéric THOMAS March 22, 2013

Hi,

First of all, congrats, that's a great product, really advanced and user friendly.

I was wondering if sourcetree supports spare checkouts as one of my repo has one but sourcetree doesn't seem to take it in account, everything is shown, I would expect it to show only what has been filtered by the spare config.

One more point, I'm on windows and in the panel "Working Copy Changes", if I do a CTRL+A to select all files, I can't unselect them after, even with the mouse, is there a special way to do that.

Thanks,

-Fred

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 24, 2013

Glad you like SourceTree!

We don't support sparse-checkout at this time, although I'd expect git commands that are supposed to take it into account to obey any existing configuration. It's not something I've come across before - sparse checkouts were more useful in SVN when they actually saved you network bandwidth and a lot of disk space, but since Git has all the file changes in the repo anyway (and you don't have a choice about that), it didn't really seem that useful. You're the first person to ask about it, and I had to look it up to remind myself :)

There are a few foibles about the grid control that powers the file status panel right now, I've logged this. It's a very useful MS control but it does have a few little edge cases like this, I may end up switching it out for something else if I can't resolve it.

Frédéric THOMAS March 24, 2013

Hi Steve,

On big repo, like more than 2Gb, it saves memory for each git operation at least though not the bandwidth, it's true.

Long time I didn't do anything in MS but I thought they were implemented better than that :-)

Well, thanks,

-Fred

thinsoldier
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 7, 2014

Any plans to add sparse checkout to sourcetree this year?

davewallace June 14, 2016

With the maturation of Git Large File Storage (which ST supports), this would be a good feature. I'm about 2 years off the last comment - is there any support at present?

Alexander Seeck November 21, 2017

Unless there's another solution to the following, I agree to this feature being valuable:

Specifically talking about Unity, most git repositories are based on the root of a Unity Projects. That means all the basic project folders would be duplicates when trying to pull such a project into an existing one. Since those projects mostly get unique from Assets/<SDKName> it would be great if one could keep one version of the project relevant folders and just pull in the structure from SDKName on.

Camille January 1, 2019

+1 we would like this feature

placasse November 10, 2020

+1 we would like this feature

Working on a huge data reposisory ~300GB with both lfs and sparse-checkout it means that the folders I don't checkout are NOT downloaded.

All the team working from home because of the covid, bandwidth really matter.

For now, doing this sparse-checkout on the console.

0 votes
chen_xia June 4, 2022

+1 i like this feature.

what is the status/progresses ?

what is the version can support?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events