Adding downloaded repository to SourceTree

Hi,

I have a large repository on BitBucket and I wish to clone it in SourceTree but it takes endless time to clone. Moreover, my internet connection is not stable so each time the connection is interrupted, cloning starts all over again. So, I have downloaded a repository from BitBucket as zip and its around 1GB. How can I add this as repository to SourceTree and then push the updates back to BitBucket?

Thank you for your support in advance.

Regards
Alpana

2 answers

Hi Celso,

Thank you for your reply. How do I check if its a clone of repositiory contents or a repository folder? I simply downloaded it from the Downloads page in BitBucket by clicking on the "Download Repository" link.

Also, do I need to "Create New Repository" in SourceTree by providing the path to the repository I downloaded before executing those commands?

Regards

Alpana

Hi there,

Is the file just a clone of repository contents or is it the repository folder from git itself?

If it is a clone of the contents, I would recommend you to unzip the file and run a git init on it, setting the origin to bitbucket repository.

cd existing-project

git remote set-url origin bitbucket_repo_url

git push origin master

Please five it a try and let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Celso Yoshioka

Hi Celso,

Thank you for your reply. How do I check if its a clone of repositiory contents or a repository folder? I simply downloaded it from the Downloads page in BitBucket by clicking on the "Download Repository" link.

Also, do I need to "Create New Repository" in SourceTree by providing the path to the repository I downloaded before executing those commands?

Regards

Alpana

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Brian Ganninger
Published Jan 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: workflow and keyboard shortcuts

Supported Platforms macOS Sourcetree has a lot to offer and, like many developer tools, finding and using it all can be a challenge, especially for a new user. Everyone might not love ...

790 views 0 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you