Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a remote repository

theewook January 31, 2013

Hi,

I'm trying to add a new remote repository but it doesn't seem to work.

Here is my situation:
I'm connected from home and want to access to the remote git repository through a VPN. The git server is hosted on a windows server. I have access to my compagny network (remotely through a VPN) and I'm able to browse the git server's folders from home with my Mac.
I have an empty folder where I would like to pull the source code from the remote repository.

So in SourceTree, I click Repository in the menu bar and repository settings. Add my new repository, which is 192.168.0.125/pmsrepos/git. Then in the left sidebar, I do a right click on my remote repository I just added and choose Pull. A new window appears and ask me to choose a remote branch to pull. The problem is the list is empty because i think it cannot access to the remote repository.

Can you tell me if it's the correct way to get the sourcecode from a remote repository? and why I cannot connect to my remote repository?

Thanks a lot for your help

Manuel

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
theewook February 15, 2013

Problem Solved!

Because the git server hasn't the http protocol available, so I couldn't access via http://192.168.0.125. What I did is :

- Create a mouted point (volume) with the command smb://192.168.0.125/repos/git

- Clone via this volume (git clone /Volume/repos/git)

After that everything is allright ;)

0 votes
theewook February 1, 2013

Nobody? What am I suppose to write in the path:

- //192.168.0.125/pmsrepos/git

- 192.168.0.125/pmsrepos/git

- 192.168.0.125:pmsrepos/git

- etc...

Please help me, I'm sure it's just a silly issue.

0 votes
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 31, 2013

not sure if i understand your description correctly.

i am wondering where that IP 192.168.0.125 is coming from. i hope it is not the "remote" IP cause it is definitly a private net thats inside your home LAN.

that would explain why there is no content until you set up a local repository with content. that has nothing to do with your remote repository you're aiming at

theewook January 31, 2013

The Ip 192.168.0.125 is the remote ip address, where the git repository is hosted. Moreover I setted up a local repository (empty for now) and I would like to pull the source code fron the remote git repository. About the VPN connection, yes I am able to access to the host via the Finder but not via SourceTree.

I am not quite sure what to enter as URL, I try 192.168.0.125/pmsrepos/git or git://192.168.0.125/pmsrepos/git but it doesn't work.

What I would like to do it just to retreive in a folder on my mac the source code from the git repository through a VPN. The VPN works perfectly, just the connection to the git server is an issue.

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 31, 2013

when you say VPN you should be able to access the remote host directly cause all traffic is being send though this tunnel.

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 4, 2013

You should be able to clone via an IP (as in https://192.168.0.125/blah or git://192.168.0.125/blah) so long as your VPN setup allows all traffic. You can't just add an existing working folder this way though.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events