Need help to manage Multiple Release Branches [required Partial Merge for Continous Integration]

Hi there,

I have a very different requirement managing multiple release branches (unlike Git-Flow or using Master as only release branch). As i'm not a CLI expert so want to learn how can i achieve my requirements using Source Tree.

I'm quite sure that you guys will help me overcome these issues, thanks :)

Here is a very simple explanation of my problem.

[1]- ill have a baseBranch with a paid code from third party.

[2]- ill have another child branch of baseBranch which will have custom version (custom code edits etc) of that paid code and we name it "customCode".

[3]- ill have another child branch of "customCode" and will name it "customDesign" so paid code now have custom design changes.

[4]- Now i'll will have multiple branches of "customDesign" for different clients and each branch will b a release branch for that client .

Now this branch system will work as "OOP" where a superclass cant have a subclass functionality, but sub class may have super class functionality or override it.

Having said that:

- Merging will never work from bottom to top, [4].'s changes will never go into [3] [2] [1]. 

- Merging may work from top to bottom. For example, if i update paid code from third party in [1]. then ill b able to merge it back to [2] BUT keep my custom changes intact (Partial Merging).

- Same above rule apply from [3] to [4].

Please advise how can i do that using Source Tree.

Thanks again :)

0 comments

Comment

Community showcase
Published May 30, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: configuring Git or Mercurial in Sourcetree

Supported Platforms macOS Windows To make using Sourcetree as simple yet powerful as possible we embed (bundle) dependencies such as Git, Git LFS, and Mercurial. We strive to keep these...

868 views 2 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you