Is there a way to visually highlight branches?

Theo Friess September 3, 2019

Hey there,

i am working on a project with ~40 developers, and we use Sourcetree for that.

We have a whole bunch of different branches at the same time (around 100)

Now, when i use Sourcetree, i often times run into a specific issue.

When i want to follow the history of a branch on the graph view (let's say i want to find out at what point some branch got merged into another one), i find it really hard to visually indicate on which commit things happened.

I was wondering if there is a way to make a certain branch in the graph view to be thicker or something, so every time i click on a commit of a branch, then in the graph view the entire branch line will be visually highlighted.

I know that you could check out the branch and filter the graph for the current branch, but this would always require to switch the branch. If i just want to follow the line of the branch, i always have to put my mouse on the exact spot of where the branch on the commit i initially picked is, and then i mousewheel until it takes curves etc. it's like i have to do a maze game every time :D

Colors don't help for that, since pretty much every branch has 6 of the same color on the graph at any given time. 

I think it would be really awesome if there is a feature where, if you click on a commit, the entire branch line gets thicker so it's way easier to see where it originated from and where it got merged.

Best Regards,

Theo

1 comment

Phillip Norman September 4, 2019

Hi Theo,

The only Git GUI that does this is 'Git GUI' - the one that is installed alongside 'standalone' Git. It has a very clunky user interface, but it does exactly what you are looking for. There's no point asking Atlassian to implement this in Sourcetree - you will be waiting ... and waiting ... and waiting ... and, well, you get the picture. (I know this from having formally submitted bugs and feature requests two and a half years ago that have not been actioned :( )

Phil.

Like Ed Goldstein likes this
Theo Friess September 4, 2019

Hmm i see, thx for the quick reply :)

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events