Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to have dynamic variable in bamboo

Christophe Debussche June 21, 2014

Hi,

I'm trying to configure bamboo to have nightly builds. My goal is that after the build, the created artifacts are copied to another folder where all my nightly builds are stored.

The structure I am aiming for is the following:

C:/Sync/.../20140622-Project xx/<all my artifacts>

Everything is in place. I have a variable containing the date, I use the 'Artifact download' task in a Deploy part, and in the path, I put my date variable which is correctly substituted.

Except for one thing, I don't find a way to update the value of my variable. I tried via a script called at the begining of my Deploy to change it (global plan variable) "set bamboo_releaseDate=20140622" but this doesn't work.

I tried to change an environment variable, and access it in bamboo in the Artifact download ${system.bamboo_releaseDate}. It gets the system variable, but if I update it, it doesn't take the change into account. The new value is only taken if I restart the service of my bamboo.

So I have more a configuration/best practice question. What should be the way to have dynamic variable ? What do you suggest ? Can I use the task mentionned above, or should I change completely ?

Thanks for your help !

Christophe

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Christophe Debussche June 23, 2014

I used the solution of Shari, and it works effectively.

Thanks for your help !

Christophe

1 vote
shari_anderson June 23, 2014

You should be able to run these commands in a step -

set TODAY=%year%%month%%day%
@echoTODAYVAR=%TODAY%>"${bamboo.pathroot}\Bamboo\xml-data\build-dir\TODAYVAR.properties"

Then run a step "Inject Bamboo Variables from file", where you reference the variable stored in the first step -

../TODAYVAR.properties

Then in a 3rd step set TODAY by doing the following -

for /f "tokens=2-4 delims=/ " %%a in ('date /T') do set year=%%c
for /f "tokens=2-4 delims=/ " %%a in ('date /T') do set month=%%a
for /f "tokens=2-4 delims=/ " %%a in ('date /T') do set day=%%b
set TODAY=%year%%month%%day%
@echoTODAYVAR=%TODAY%>"${bamboo.pathroot}\Bamboo\xml-data\build-dir\TODAYVAR.properties"

Then you can reference TODAY variable (say in your copy step) with the following -

%TODAY%_${bamboo.current.version}-${bamboo.buildNumber}

which would append the version of the app and the build number to the YYYYMMDD, i.e. 20140623_1.5.8_21

Mark McWiggins October 3, 2018

I am new to bamboo ... I have a build running but need to set up the date. Not sure why this isn't a standard feature of Bamboo by now (v6.6.3) ...

Anyway, the top commands look like Windows .BAT format, but it's not working for me as %year% and %month% and %day% are undefined ...

Are these just a placeholder for me to put the date in manually every time?

Please explain ... thanks.

0 votes
Mark McWiggins October 3, 2018

I found a solution with Python to create the .properties file.

This is simpler than the solution listed above, as Python can set up the TODAY variable and write it to the properties file in one step:

#!/usr/bin/env python

import datetime
import sys

now = datetime.datetime.now()

mmddyyyy = now.strftime('%m%d%Y')

tfile = "C:/Users/Administrator/bamboo-home/xml-data/build-dir/AM-BLD-VAR/TODAYVAR.properties"

tout = open(tfile,'w')
tout.write("TODAY=%s\n" % mmddyyyy)
tout.close()
sys.exit(0)

One slight glitch I still have: the return value of the Python script is somehow always interpreted by Bamboo as -1, no matter what the actual return code.

For the moment I'm just running this step outside of Bamboo and disabling the step in the plan.

BUT! Atlassian: why not just export a DATETIME variable for us to use directly instead of all this??

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events