How do I restore a deleted group?

kungfucarlos June 29, 2013
I recently deleted a group from my JIRA OnDemand and I appear to have lost a whole set of issues. Is there a way to restore the group I deleted?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 29, 2013

Not really "restore", but you can simply re-create a group with the same name.

Deleting a group will not have touched your issues though, you've not "lost" any of those.

Karthiga Sethuraj February 22, 2019

Hello Nic, 

I deleted a user group in JIRA server. All the comments and the worklogs that were restricted based on that user group is lost now. Is there a way to restore this ?

Thank you.

Karthiga

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 22, 2019

No, the group has gone, along with all the settings that relied on it.

OMG!! So there is simply no way to restore them even by querying the DB ?

I just created a support ticket too.

https://getsupport.atlassian.com/servicedesk/customer/portal/35/CA-656933

Asked the community here: 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Comments-and-worklogs-restricted-to-old-user-group-is-lost-in-a/qaq-p/1016651#M325829

More info to provide extra context: Actually the comments visibility were restricted to a Project Role called Developers. 

And we changed the "comment visibility" option in JIRA Settings > System > General Configuration from "Project Roles only" to "Groups & Project Roles"  

And allowed users to restrict to using the group instead of the Project Role.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 22, 2019

Correct.  You've deleted it.  The DB won't have anything because you deleted the rows representing the group.

0 votes
MJ
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 5, 2013

As Nic said, it is highly unlikely that you have lost any issues. My guess would be that the group you have removed provided the appropriate permissions to see the issues in the first place, maybe this is the direction you need to look at.

0 votes
kungfucarlos July 5, 2013
Thanks Nic. Sorry for not feeding back sooner. Bit a of rookie on JIRA, coupled with trying it out on a big project has made this a teep learnin curve.  Finally managed to work out how to find those missing issues. Thanks for the answer though.

Suggest an answer