How can I associate a bug with a user story?

Deleted user February 5, 2013

I need to be able to to associate a bug logged in JIRA to a user story in the backlog. I would not prefer to use the generic “Linked Issues” field for that purpose. I was not able to find a way to create a custom field that could satisfy this requirement. Is there a way I can do that?

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Deleted user February 11, 2013

Gary,

As the threads linked by Renjith have discussed, the Link feature does not provide visibility for the bugs in the scrum board. Also the issue picker for the Link attribute cannot be filtered to just user stories.

I can't use sub-tasks for the purpose, since my defect metrics would not include them. I am guessing my best bet is to use Bonfire - establish a test session for each story and then log bugs against the test session.

Thanks for your inputs.

Sunil

1 vote
Deleted user May 15, 2019

Story bugs.

0 votes
Ken Severn July 23, 2020

If you want to modify an existing defect to be associated with a story, you must "Convert to sub-task" found in the More menu. This will prompt you to associate it with a parent story and select a sub-task type. In our case we have a sub-task type called Story Defect. If the defect is not in the same project, then you'll need to move it to the right project first.

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 8, 2013
0 votes
Gary
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 8, 2013

Hi Sunil,

The linked issues field was exactly designed for this reason, and there are no workarounds available for that directions of linking. Can you explain your use case, and why you would not want to use that field?

Cheers,

Gary

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events