Using a space for questions but not allow page creation

Ron Summers January 23, 2018

We want to be able to use a space for people to ask questions in the space so the questions are limited to that space but we don't want people to be able to add pages to the space.

Is this possible?

Or is it that in order to do a question in a space, you need to have the Page add permission because Questions just uses the space permissions?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ron Summers February 7, 2018

Ok, I did an empirical test to answer my own question.  If a user can ask Questions normally, they can ask a question limited to a space where they can view the space but cannot add pages.  I verified by using Questions on the menu bar to look at recent questions where it shows whether the question is limited to a space or not.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 7, 2018

Hi Ron,

Apologies for the delay. As you have discovered, any users with "use" (aka view) permissions for Confluence (including individual spaces), should be able to ask questions there.

Therefore, you would only need to make sure the user has access to view the space in order to ask questions.

I'm sorry this wasn't clear in my previous post.

Let me know if you have any further questions about that.

Regards,

Shannon

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 6, 2018

Hi Ron,

Per our page on Confluence Questions Permissions,

Users with permission to use Questions can ask questions, answer questions, up vote answers and more.

According to this, a user shouldn't require Add Page permissions to ask a question.

Are you finding this is not accurate for your instance?

Regards,

Shannon

Ron Summers February 6, 2018

The page you linked only addresses Confluence Questions permissions at the "global" level.  My question is about space specific questions.

I'm not trying to restrict access to Confluence Questions or allow anonymous access or set up curators for Questions.

I've also looked at this page https://confluence.atlassian.com/questions/integrate-questions-with-your-spaces-407724495.html which doesn't answer my question either.

But, no, I haven't tried this exact scenario out myself, I was hoping to find an answer so I didn't to go through setting up that experiment.

I know there are permissions for using Questions but when integrating (asking) Questions in a space, do the space permissions come into play?

In other words, if I only have View permissions in a space, can I still ask Questions limited to that space only?  I'm hoping the answer is yes but I can't confirm that through the documentation I found.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events