Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technical Documentation

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 26, 2019

Good Day,

Documentation.jpg

For some reason I keep thinking it is Friday 🤪, I guess weekends are too short we barely get to enjoy them especially when weather is not collaborating.

Ok let me start my discussion today by asking you how much documentation do you write at work?

• Do you have a KB for repetitive problems?
  • Do you have pages dedicated for your Atlassian or other applications upgrade or installs? How much detail do you log on those?
  • Do you have SOPs?

Any elaboration will be greatly appreciated.

Best,

1 comment

Comment

Patrick Cartier [Candylio]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 27, 2019

Hi @Fadoua ,

Interesting topic for a discussion.

Let me start off by saying that I think documentation is very important.  I do it for just about every customer I have done services for, unless they specifically ask me not to do it.

For most of our customers, we need to document how we did anything so that they can repeat the steps if necessary.

Having a KB for repetitive problems can save time for larger organizations with many customers, however, I think for small businesses the time spent writing documentation isn't worth the amount of issues that arise.  I'm curious what you or other people think the "breaking point" is for an amount of tickets needed to create a KB article.  5? 10? 20?

For Atlassian application upgrades or installs we like to have documentation on how to do these things, then for each upgrade or install we can have a separate page to talk about what went well or went wrong so we are accumulating data and in the future we can use that to help us perform similar tasks.

The only SOPs we have are for upgading Atlassian customers :).

Like • Fadoua likes this
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 2, 2019

Thank you @Patrick Cartier [Candylio] ! Btw parlez vous Français?

I didn't have time to reply to your message during the week as I was doing a JIRA Upgrade.

• I am with you when it comes to steps handling either a new install or an upgrade.
  • We are not a big institute, however we have a KB that is barely used by our researchers and doctors. I am really looking during Summit to connect with Atlassian Admins in Healthcare industry so that I can learn more from them how they use Atlassian Tools.
  • Your last point on the comment is what our PM likes to call "Lesson learned", not sure though if it will be sitting in a Confluence page but I can tell you after doing the upgrade in 3 different environments. The issues I faced on the last one which was Production I didn't experienced them in Dev and Test. We had some Permission issues with Directories that the AWS Engineer had to fix from his end.

Thank you for taking time to reply!

Best,

Fadoua

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events