Difference between 'Continue with Microsoft' and SAML SSO with Azure AD

mohithb January 31, 2020

Now we can see that 'Continue with Microsoft' in the login page. Does it mean that we can login in using Microsoft credentials without have Atlassian Access subscription?

3 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ed Letifov _TechTime - New Zealand_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 1, 2020

I believe this is correct. 

This is just a convenient shortcut without the security features that come with Access i.e. no enforcement.

You may have to have the user created first in the system. There will be no sync e.g. for groups. You also have no control over who will actually be using Microsoft (and have controls enforced there e.g. 2FA) and who will be typing the same credentials (with a different password) into Atlassian form by hand.

mohithb February 3, 2020
0 votes
Answer accepted
Veera
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 2, 2020

Hi @mohithb 

The simple answer is 'yes'.

"Continue with Microsoft" is social login and it's optional. Users can choose this option or login normally using their email address and Atlassian account password.

With Access's SAML SSO, the users will be forced to use Azure AD credentials every time they try to login. It's not an option for the users.

mohithb February 3, 2020

Thanks @Veera 

Like Veera likes this
Veera
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 3, 2020

You are very welcome @mohithb 

0 votes
RobertD December 18, 2023

Similar question here...

We have Azure AD Access SSO enabled but our users mistakenly try to use the Sign in with Microsoft option instead of going to our custom login URL.  As an admin, I have not approved the consent request that is sent.

Question, what happens if I do approve the request consent?  Will they be able to login using  Sign in with MS and bypass Access or not be able to login? How does that login flow work?

Thanks

Suggest an answer