Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Burndown chart not run correctly in Jira Cloud?

Huy Quang Nguyễn November 1, 2021

Hey guys,

I am new at Jira Cloud but I have spent for more than 2 year for using Jira Server, but when i'm using Jira Cloud version, my burndown chart are not show anything. Normally, when I estimated time for sub-task and let the parent task sum them up all the time estimated and show them in Burndown chart. But, in Jira Cloud, I'm also estimated all the sub-task under the Story, but when I'm start the sprint and check my burndown chart report, It showed nothing. Anyone can explain to me why and how can I fix this in my situation? Thank a lot guys!

1 answer

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Francis Akujuobi November 1, 2021

Hi, @Huy Quang Nguyễn I faced the same issue when I started using Jira Cloud. However, Jira cloud does not support a report on estimating sub-task (Children) to a Story (Parent) which is not visible on the Burndown chart.

The best I did was to capture all my sub-task (Children) as a Story (Parent) so that they can be captured in my Burndown chart.

You may also want to capture your intended story as an Epic but that will require you to have more Epic (My method). 

In Scrum, I believe it's not right for a story to have a sub-task. Remember INVEST. A story should be small as possible and be delivered in an instance, if it should have a child then it should be considered an Epic.

I guess that's why Jira Dev thought of having the feature that way.

I hope this helps.

Huy Quang Nguyễn November 1, 2021

Hmmm thanks for your respond Francis! 

Like Francis Akujuobi likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 1, 2021

A minor thing - "In Scrum, I believe it's not right for a story to have a sub-task." - it's not quite wrong, Scrum actually has little to say about it.  They can be a useful tool when more than one person needs to work on different bits of a story.

But, they are not sprint items, you commit to doing their parent story as a whole, not bits of a story.  Sprint estimates on sub-tasks are therefore irrelevant.

Huy Quang Nguyễn November 4, 2021

Hi all, I think I know the problem really is. As the first one I created the project, I have chose the "Team Managed" Side, and the other problem as I shared in this post. But when I create another project but choosing the "Organization Managed" - everything running correctly as I want before. You guys can try can share your experienced in this post too. Thank you so much to @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- and @Francis Akujuobi for comment in my post, hopefully all of you guys have I nice day! Thanks so much <3

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events