Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WAGILE

david_lewis April 18, 2021

Hi,  I am new to JIRA but have been a project manager for over 20 years.  I am looking to use JIRA to deliver an array of different project types.  Some will be very waterfall, and some will be dev or configuration pieces. I am trying to ensure we use a single tool to track and deliver projects across the organisation. 

Are there any guides, book, resources....etc that can explain how to use JIRA to manage a range of project types, or even a hybrid like WAGILE.

There are a couple of questions around dependency management, that I haven't been able to bottom out with JIRA. I think part of my problem is I am used to visualising the entire project, and not seeing all the dependencies makes me feel uncomfortable and not in control.

2 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

4 votes
Answer accepted
MA April 18, 2021

Hi David,

Welcome.

At its core Jira is a platform to create issues/tasks and subtasks under a project (originally it was an issue tracking system for software development).  Jira has a lot of flexibility due to the ability to customise through plugins, workflow, custom fields, screens etc.

I currently use Jira for project management within my organisation.  The main questions that you probably want to ask yourself are:

1. What level of project management do you want to apply over your projects and teams?
  2. What information to you want to show to your stakeholders and governance committees?
  3. How do you want your project teams to operate with Jira (self managed or tightly managed)?

For me Jira's real strengths are its ability to customise it for how you want to work (although this takes time, knowledge and effort) and the ability it gives teams to actively participate in the management of their allocated tasks (users can use a task to collaborate and assign to other resources for progression of the task).  All information relevant to the task can be captured within the task itself making it easy for someone to review a task and have all the information they need to understand the status and outcome of the particular task.

My advice to you would be to look at the resources available on the web - basic introduction to Jira etc.  Have a look at the plugins that you think align to the way that you and your organisation want to operate.  Drill down to the details of these plugins.  e.g. how to videos and doco.  Use the community for any specific questions or concerns that you come up with.  Finally run a test project through Jira to see how it works for you.  It has its idiosyncrasies, but all software does.  Using it on a test project should give you a good template for how you want to use it going forward (and probably more importantly what you don't want to do when setting up the project).

HTH

david_lewis April 18, 2021

Thank you, both for the prompt response and the thought put into it. I work for a startup, so self managed is the only way we can work, with a programme of work across 30 projects.  

We have Dev, waterfall and hybrid projects all being kicked off and needing management.  Its a start-up so everything is lite touch with governance, I am dealing with no technical teams like marketing and finance so need a process that isn't cumbersome to them, but offers a view of the various deliveries.  

I have looked at the planning tool that come with JIRA and some of the timeline views, but my boss isn't keen on going back to Gantt charts.

Thanks again.

David

Like Fabio Barone likes this
MA April 19, 2021

If you don't like Gantts, then have a look at card walls and burndown charts.  These are pretty simple and flexible whilst still giving you an insight on how you are performing progress wise.  Personally Gantt charts are what you make them and it depends on how much detail that you put into them.  A high level Gantt chart can be useful if you need to know when you expect to be able to achieve something or need to get something done by a certain date and want to investigate the feasibility of achieving that outcome.  Still we all have our preferences.  It's really about whatever works for you and your organisation.

Good luck

MA April 19, 2021

Oh, also for dependencies (as per your original post), I just use the task link functionality to link one task to another.  It's useful for instance when one task may need to be done after another.  In this case you can create a link with a type of "is blocked by" or anything else appropriate that describes the dependency/relationship between to the two tasks.

david_lewis April 19, 2021

I have used the task link function, I am not a fan of the terminology in JIRA, blocked by seems so final.  A task isn't blocked by another task until its blocked, until that time its just a dependency (The terminology is something I need to deal with)

Seeing all the dependencies in a single view is what I am struggling with. 

The suggestion here have helped, so thank you.

David

Pronto Software April 19, 2021

Hi @david_lewis 

99% of the terminology can be configured to whatever you're comfortable with. Issue Linking is set up or altered here: Cog menu -> Issues -> Issue Features -> Issue Linking

(that's Server, can't remember whether Cloud is the same)

We have these links, which came from a Gantt chart add-on. I added more, copies of MS Project terminology, as some PMs were used to that product.

Finish-to-Start linkLinked issue cannot start until this issue finishes.
Start-to-Finish linkLinked issue cannot finish until this issue starts.

Issue links can be enforced with automation, but that's another topic.

Visualising dependencies in a list form (once links are in-place) could be achieved with Issue Search. IssueLinktype is the field for this.

Are you using the standard issue hierarchy of Epic - Story - Task - Subtask? This is a pseudo dependency set up (with a handful of in-built enforcement rules). For visualising, open an Epic to view all its Tasks right there on the issue. Or, if you're viewing a Task, click its Epic to jump up the hierarchy.

There a quite a number of options, the outcome will likely be driven by the build construction of the Jira project(s).

Cheers,

Peter Q

Like # people like this
2 votes
Pronto Software April 18, 2021

Hi @david_lewis

You’ll receive a range of answers to this question as there are numerous solutions. One solution that’s great for visualising projects is Advanced Roadmaps for Jira. Depending on the edition of your instance, it may be bundled-in (it’s included with Cloud Premium and Data Centre). Advanced Roadmaps facilitates dependency tracking without too much set up effort; kind-of there out of the box, as long as your Jira projects contain the recommended structures and schemes.

Alternatives to this app, and other add-on applications (there are a few with visual project management), would include well thought out Workflows and Boards. Underline “well thought out” as there is a degree of set up involved and iterations of enhancement to get things flowing for your firm's processes and culture.

Welcome to the journey, a cliché that’s relevant to a platform of this depth and breadth.

Cheers,

PeteQ

Adam _SoftwarePlant_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 19, 2021

Hello @david_lewis 

When it comes to visualizing the entire project and the dependencies between the tasks, I believe that BigPicture plugin might come in handy. With its Gantt or Board modules, you can easily structure your project and show all of the dependencies between the tasks (even from multiple different projects), so that you can have a high-level overview of the current status of your work.

Have a nice day and stay safe,

Adam

Like david_lewis likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events