Due Date Manipulation of Cloned Issue

Bill Schmitz October 23, 2017

I have a rule that clones an issue.  One of the fields being copied is called ‘Frequency’ and holds values of Weekly, Monthly, Quarterly, Semi-Annually, Annually.  When the new issue is created, I need to ‘apply’ this Frequency value to the due date of the original issue do determine how far out to make the Due Date of the new issue. 

So, if the original issue had a Frequency of ‘Quarterly’ and a Due Date of July 1, 2017, the cloned issue would have a Due Date of October 1, 2017.  Any help you can offer as to how to accomplish this in the rule for the frequencies listed would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 23, 2017

Hi Bill,

So we don't support this very well yet (what you really want is some way to create a mapping of values - https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-173).

For now you'd have to create another rule like this:

• Trigger: Issue created
  • JQL Condition: To match the newly cloned issue
  • Branch/Related issues action with 'Current issue'
    • JQL condition: Frequency = Weekly
    • Edit issue action and set due date: {{#issue.duedate}}func=plusWeeks(1){{/}}
  • Branch/Related issues action with 'Current issue'
    • JQL condition: Frequency = Monthly
    • Edit issue action and set due date: {{#issue.duedate}}func=plusMonths(1){{/}}

See https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/AUTO4J/pages/24903696/Working+with+Dates for more details on available date functions.

So the idea is that you have another rule that listens for when the issue gets cloned (ensure this rule can be triggered by another rule in 'Rule details') and then for each of the different values of the 'Frequency' field it edits the issue with the appropriate future due date.

Hope this helps. Like I said it's a bit cumbersome, but we don't have a better solution at the moment.

Cheers,
  Andreas

Bill Schmitz October 24, 2017

Andreas, thank you for the suggestion and your time.  I will give this a try!  -Bill

Bill Schmitz November 8, 2017

Andreas, I have your suggestion basically working but have one question.  In the second step of your new rule you say to add a JQL Condition to match the newly cloned issue.  I can not find how to do this.  Can you help?  Thank you, Bill

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events