ALM Structure: Epics without tasks do not show up with generators

Patrick Marcus October 30, 2017

When using Structure and generators, the Epics that do not have tasks assigned to them do not show up in the structure under the following conditions:

1. Add Insert Generator with the query for all issues below Epics: ‘project=xx and type in (Story, Task)’;
2. Add Extend Generator to add issues with the ‘Relates’ link;
3. Add the Filter Generator;
4. To remove duplicate issues, add Remove Inserter/Extender Duplicates Filter Generator;
5. Add Group by Components and Group by Epic Generator, which will pull Epics in the structure. If you want, you can drag and drop both groupers in the list of Generators to change the grouping order.

In the above case, the Epics without assigned tasks do not show up anywhere in the generated output.  Only Epics with assigned tasks show (and seem to show correctly)

If I do the following:

1. insert generator all tasks for project = xx
2. group by component
3. group by epic

The epics with no assigned tasks are only listed under the generated folder "no epic"

I would expect Epics without assigned tasks to show up correctly in both cases.

1 answer

0 votes
Egor Tasa [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 31, 2017

Hi Patrick,

Currently it is only possible to add groups for items in the structure, but we are planning to make possible adding empty groups. This is not an easy task, as for example in your scenario empty epics can be duplicated multiple times under every component. 

While I do not know all of the details of your usecase perhaps a direct approach can work: 

1. Insert all epics into structure
  2. Extend by epic link
  3. Extend by relates link 
  4. Group at level 2 by component

This will definitely show epics without stories under them. But may be less useful for your specific task.

Regards,
Egor Tasa

ALM Works Support

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events