automation to link status transition between parent and child issue

jennyk
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 1, 2023

In many occasions i find parent task is still in backlog while it's subtasks are in progress.

I don't want to manually change the status of the parent issue whenever i see it, so i want to build an automation that :

- If a certain sub-task's status is transitioned from backlog to in progress (or closed)

- and if its parent task's status is still backlog,

- the parent task's status automatically changes into in progress

is it possible? I want to to write up JQL to only filter the issues with subtasks,  but it seems like JIRA doesnt have a corresponding key to use.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Marco Brundel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 1, 2023

Hi @jennyk ,

Welcome on the Atlassian Community.

With automation for Jira it is possible to create a rule that If the sub-task moves to ‘In Progress’ then move the parent issue to ‘In Progress’ also.

See this example on the atlassian playground.

regards, 
Marco

jennyk
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 1, 2023

Thanks, it really helped!

Like Marco Brundel likes this
vincenzo_spatafora May 3, 2024

@jennyk,

I would like to ask if Is it possible also the way around?

I mean: to create a rule which upon Parent transition to "In Progress" automatically set its first sub-task also to "In Progress" (from Open, its original status).

Thanks in advance, Vincenzo. 

0 votes
vincenzo_spatafora May 3, 2024

Hi @Marco Brundel,

happy to see this post.

Is it possible also the way around?

I mean: to create a rule which upon Parent transition to "In Progress" automatically its first sub-task is set also to "In Progress" (from Open, its original status).

Thanks in advance, Vincenzo. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events