Tempo Planner for basic capacity planning

Michelle Wilson October 7, 2014

I have a JIRA Project that is not agile.  We don't work in sprints or iterations.  We don't have epics or work with components.  The project just contains issues that go through a normal workflow.  A good majority of issues are logged ahead of time, for work that is coming up.  There are some issues that remain open for awhile and not picked up right away.  We have a good sized "backlog".  

How can I use Tempo Planner to do capacity planning?  I would like to be able to put the JIRA issues into a Plan Timeline, assign them to a team member, so we can tell Client Managers if the team has capacity to work on XYZ item next month.  I want to see that team members aren't over or under-utilized and I can plan for vacations/holidays.  

Is this Tempo Planner or maybe Tempo Timesheets?  I don't want team members logging time spent, just forecasting time required/remaining for future capacity planning only.

Thanks for your help!

2 answers

0 votes
Michelle Wilson October 15, 2014

Thanks for your detailed response.  I follow what you describe, except I only see 25 issues in my "Unassigned Issues" section on the left of the Timeline.  How can I expand on that?  We have a good sized backlog.

Also, is there any plan to change the Assignee of an issue when it's dragged from the Work Items Sidebar to the Timeline?

Thanks!

Viðar Svansson [Tempo]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 15, 2014

We are experimenting with these two suggestions. The first will hopefully be included in next release. The latter is a bit more complex because not everyone wants that to happen but we are working on it.

Brandon Heie November 1, 2017

Has the assign issue when work is planned for a user been implemented?

0 votes
Viðar Svansson [Tempo]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 8, 2014

Hi Michelle,

You should be able to use the Timeline to do basic capacity planning based on team members and issues. This was not the focus in recent releases of Planner but we are actively improving this type of functionality.

You would start be creating a Team in Tempo and link it to your project. Then you should be able to select the project on the left sidebar on the timeline and expand the issues section (called "Unassigned Issues in 2.0). We are working on a few improvements here that we aim to release very soon.

For national holidays, go into admin and find Holiday Schemes. This will allow you to create the holidays and they will appear on the Timeline.

For team member vacations you would create a new project called "Internal" and create a component in this project called "Vacations". You can then link this project to the team and plan on the component like you plan on issues. Of course you could also just create the component in the other project if that is easier for you. We aim to make this a bit simpler in future releases.

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any more questions,

Cheers,
Viðar (Tempo) 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events