Sub-task extend upwards in Structure

Corey Hutchinson July 3, 2019

Use case - I have result set of sub-tasks and want to extend and bring in their parent.  Any way to extend "up" or identify the parent without starting at a higher level and extending down?

Looking for a similar pattern that we have with story and epic.  If I have a result set of stories I can group by Epic and the data is extended "up". 

2 answers

1 vote
Vlad Lessage
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 3, 2019

Hi Corey,

Thanks for posting.

This is not possible yet unfortunately. However, we have this feature request in our backlog. I can't make any promises but if you'd like, I can notify you if it is something we move forward with and eventually release.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best Regards,

Vlad

ALM Works

Corey Hutchinson July 3, 2019

Can we do any magic in maybe the column Manual Specification to at least make the parent issue key/summary visible in a result set of sub-tasks?

ie kind of like enabling the epic link on a story result set or enabling parent link on an epic result set?

Vlad Lessage
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 3, 2019

Hi Corey,

Not with just Structure by itself unfortunately. If you use ScriptRunner, you might be able to do something via JQL but you'd likely need to reach out to Adaptavist for a script if you don't know how to do it. 

Also, I'd like to mention that we had a client who used the Jira Workflow Toolbox app which allowed them to create a calculated Text Custom Field, which then showed the Key and Summary for each Sub-Task's Parent. They ultimately used Structure's Group by Text Attribute Generator for that Custom Field to group by the parent.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Vlad

Stepan Kholodov _ALM Works_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 18, 2021

Hello Corey,

I just notified you at our support portal and I'll repeat it here just in case anybody else finds this post. It is possible to group Sub-tasks by their parent issues with the combination of the Attribute grouper and the Formula: add the Attribute Group generator/transformation, select the Formula option in its additional list and type the formula: parent.

Best regards,
Stepan Kholodov
ALM Works

Like Dave Rosenlund likes this
0 votes
David Yu
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 17, 2019

This is going to be awkward, but I would try using ScriptRunner's ParentsOf(). This should bring in all the parent tasks only which is fine.

Then just use Structure's subtask extender to bring in all the subtasks.

The gotcha is that it may bring in other subtasks of those parents as well. So then you can probably apply another filter.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events