Structure: Group by Link Type?

Ulrike Engel January 29, 2021

Hi all! 

Maybe someone can give a hint for the following use case: 

I´m looking for a way to Group Items in a structure by Link Type automatically. 

Issuetype Delivery
Extend with "Linked Issues" 

--> "is realization for"

--> "has deployment"

---> "discovered bug"

I would now like to have "folders" under each Delivery Issue with "is realization for", "has deploymend" and "discovered bug".

I tried with adding "Group by Link Type" and then for a first test selected one of the above mentioned Link Types, but this is not working.      

Many thanks and Best Regards,

Uli

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Stepan Kholodov _ALM Works_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 29, 2021

Hello Uli,

The Group by Link Type generator doesn't assign issues to links-based groups like other groupers, it is used for pulling parent issues linked to issues that are already added to the structure. 

If your goal is to display specific links that connect sub-issues with their parent issues, you can achieve it with the Formula column and any third-party app that extends Jira's JQL functionality such as Scriptrunner. If you can use links-based JQL functions, you can do the following:
Add the Formula column with a formula like this:

if(realization, "is realization for") or
if(deployment, "has deployment") or
if(discovered, "discovered bug")
and map each variable - realization, deployment and discovered - to the Query Match option, and add a JQL query for each link to its respective variable:

issueFunction in hasLinks("is realization for")
issueFunction in hasLinks("has deployment")
issueFunction in hasLinks("discovered bug")
As a result, the Formula column will check each issue if it matches a given variable(which represents a JQL query) and if it's a match, the column will return the text indicator in brackets for each linked issue. You can find more details about the Query Match functionality & the Formula column in our documentation: https://wiki.almworks.com/display/structure/Query+Match+as+Variables

I hope this helps! If you need further assistance, please feel free to contact us directly at support.almworks.com and we'll be back with you shortly.

Best regards,
Stepan Kholodov
ALM Works

Avi Bachar October 3, 2021

Hi @Stepan Kholodov _ALM Works_ 

not sure it is the same question but looks very close.

I have Epics in the structure (first level insert)

then I extend with 2 types of "links"

1. by epic link

2. by a specific link. ("GA Assessment" , just for the record)

I would like to see under the epic 2 groups one for each

how do I do that?

illustration:

Epic XYZ

-- "EpicLink" (Group)

--- Story A

----Story B

--- Bug C

--"GA Assessment" (Group)

--- Story Z

---- Epic ABC

---- Bug B

Stepan Kholodov _ALM Works_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 4, 2021

Hello @Avi Bachar 

If I understand correctly, you want to see linked issues of an Epic underneath it but you want to show them separately and organize them in two categories. If so, then it is not possible with links-based groupers - you can do it but any issue with one or the other link will be placed in the 'No value' folder and the hierarchy will not be how you expect it to be.

You can add all issues using two Extend generators - the 'Stories under Epics' and the 'Linked issues' - and all Stories will appear as a list underneath their Epic. And then you can, for example, mark Stories with labels("Epic Link" or "GA Assessment") and add grouping by Labels on the level underneath the Epic. Stories will be placed in two different groups according to their labels and it will give you the view you need.

Please don't hesitate to submit a request at our support portal at support.almworks.com if you need our assistance with anything else.

Best regards,
Stepan Kholodov
ALM Works

Like Dave Rosenlund likes this
Avi Bachar October 4, 2021

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events