Structure Board Grouping Formula: Multiple IF statements for multi value field

Jose Augustin October 3, 2022

Structure board noob question.

I have a field with multi select values. Something like Field = (A, B) I have epics with the following values:

• Epic1: Field = (A)
  • Epic2: Field = (A, B)

I want to create a grouping formula such that:

1. If Field = (A); group as FolderX and FolderY
  2. If Field = (B); group as FolderX 

The result of the grouping will be that:

• FolderX: Epic1, Epic2
  • Foldery: Epic2

Could anyone guide me and provide a sample formula which could be used for the above? All my attempts fail because when #1 is true, #2 is not evaluated. I am essentially looking for a way/syntax for multiple IFs and not an IF-ELSE. 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
David Niro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 3, 2022

Hello @Jose Augustin ,

Welcome to the Community!

I don't believe you will need to use a formula.  You should be able to select the field you want to group by when adding the Group Generator.

Have you tried this and it is not working?  

Best,
David

Hey David - 

Thanks for the quick response. This is part of a larger formula that I am trying to setup. The native one will work for this use - but won't for the larger goal. 

An easier way to think about the ask is to relate it to native Labels. If A, B, C, D are label values, I want to group the tickets based on the following logic.

• A, B, C --> Folder C
  • A, B -> Folder B
  • C -> Folder C
  • C, D-> Folder C AND Folder D

As you can see, there are some places where I do not want duplicates (same ticket in different folders) and other times when I need duplicates.

HTH!

Jose

David Niro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 3, 2022

Hello @Jose Augustin ,

You're very welcome.  Thank you for the clarification.

I'm curious about the first two examples.  It seems that when the combination A,B,C exist, you only want to group by C, but when combination A,B exist you want to group by B.  Was this intentional to exclude grouping by B when A,B,C exist?

Or, was the first example meant to include a group for B?

Best,
David

Hey @David Niro -

The example is accurate. And you described it right. I have tried a few grouping formulas and was not able to get it to work. Any help is appreciated.

Jose

David Niro
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 4, 2022

Hello @Jose Augustin ,

Based on what you have described so far, this would be a very complex formula.  Essentially each combination of labels needed to be accounted for in a local variable.

It would be best if you could share the entire use case and scenario.  Specifically how you make the determination of what gets grouped based on the combination of labels.

Perhaps there is some common thread we could use to better define how to group the issues without creating so many variables.

Please feel free to reach out to our support team directly via email support@almworks.com or customer portal support.almworks.com.

Best,
David

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events