Questions about mapping date customfields JIRA - MSProject in Ceptah

Adolfo Casari
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 23, 2016

Hello,

I have a Parent task with issuetype X and subtasks with issue type Y. In parent and subtaks I have plan start and plan end datepicker CF types (specific for the each issue type, i.e., Planned Start X, Planned Start Y, etc).

1) is it possible to synch from JIRA to MSP these date fields?

2) is it possible to synch from MSP to JIRA only if the parent task is in a given status?

3) In JIRA these CFs are not in the edit screen, as its change is controlled through a WKF transition. Can Ceptah handle this restricion regarding MSP to JIRA synch.?

Thanks in advance,

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Sergey Gussak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 23, 2016

Hi Adolfo,

1. The mappings are applied universally and are not specific to a particular issue type. If you need to synchronise the multiple type-specific fields with the same field in MS Project, you can map them to intermediate fields, e.g. Date 1 and Date 2, and then use a VBA macro to update the destination field, e.g. Start, depending on the type of the issue. Ceptah Bridge can run the macro for you each time after synchronisation.
  2. To synchronise the issues of a particular type, you can filter them out in MS Project, and then select and process them using the Synchronise Selected function.
  3. A field needs to be on the Edit screen for Ceptah Bridge to be able to update it. That's how JIRA API works.

Regards,
Sergey 

Adolfo Casari
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 23, 2016

2. Actually I meant the "parent task" to be the JIRA issue. The idea is that I don't want the synch (MSP to JIRA) to update subtasks dates unless its parent issue is in a given status. Can you have a VBA macro to handle this condition?

3. Is there any actual or planned function in the plugin to synch (MSP to JIRA) using a workflow transition?

About 2 and 3, the scenario is that I would like to reschedule subtasks in MSP, since in JIRA is cumbersome when you have dozens of subtasks , the only way is to do it manually one by one. That can be handled easily in MSP.  But in JIRA changing dates only can be carried through a transition (in order to control who can change them).

Thanks for your help!

Sergey Gussak
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 23, 2016

2. You can write a VBA macro that selects tasks whose summary task has a particular status (the field that is mapped to Status has a particular value), but you will need to run it manually outside of Ceptah Bridge.

3. We do not plan to update JIRA through the transition screens any time soon because this would be very hard to harmoniously integrate into the synchronisation process. I'm not even sure if JIRA API exposes all the data that might be required. Can you put the fields onto the Edit screen and allow only the superuser who runs synchronisation to access it?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events