Question/problem with Resolutions

Terry Beavers September 25, 2012

Greetings,

I'm not sure if there is a way to resolve the issue we are facing with Resolutions, but hopefully you can give some insight as to what we might be able to do as a workaround and when this functionality might be available in JIRA since it seems that it would be a highly requested feature and functionality.

The problem we are facing with Resolutions is the inability to assign/associate different Resolutions to different projects, just as you can do with Statuses and the variety of schemes that can be configured specifically for a project.

I really don't understand why ALL Resolutions need to be available for ALL projects, but it is causing us issues between our teams who do not want to have other resolutions available that do not apply to their projects.

Please advise.

Thanks for your support,

Terry

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Luzia Mendes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 25, 2012

Hi,

jira.atlassian.com is the site where Atlassian keeps its bugs and features requests. If you check this one, you'll see they said in May 2011 that this feature that you want was too complex to be implemented on the next 12 months. (Maybe they'll review it in a few months from now).

As a workaround, you may want to use a custom field called Resolution (actually, I'm not sure if you can use this name or will have to chose something similar).

Create all the types of Resolution you want, create multiple field configurations with the values you want.

Then, make the field required with 'Unresolved' as the default value and associate the custom field to the screens you need.

Now, keep on eye on this: JIRA 'knows' that issues are closed when the resolution is set. Not your custom field called Resolution, JIRA's Resolution native field. SO, it means that in you workflow, you need to configure a post-function that will set a value for the resolution native field when you resolve your issue! You can hide the Resolution native field from your users. But JIRA needs it in order to know the issue is resolved.

Now you ask me why JIRA must know the issue is resolved? Well, it'll dash the issue key on the activity stream, for example...and there are other minor behaviors!

So, in your "Resolve Issue" transiction, use a screen that has your custom field for Resolution. And add a post-function that sets JIRA's resolution to Fixed, for example.

I hope it helps!

0 votes
Terry Beavers September 26, 2012

Thank you so much for your workaround suggestion Luzia. Although it's not the optimum solution to the Resolutions issue, I think it will work for us until Atlassian adds the feature in a future release.

0 votes
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 25, 2012

Luzia, nice work. I would call the custom resolution field something other than Resolution to avoid confusion.

You could also restrict the resolutions available in a transition using a property of a status, and then have workflow schemes for each project.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Workflow+Properties

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events