Plugin update stalled

James Reece December 10, 2020

An update to the Jira Automation plugin is stalled / hanging.  It's been like this for 30 minutes at least.

Any guidance on how to get out of this?   As far as I can tell, Jira is working generally for users.  But we do rely on the automation plugin rather heavily.

image.png

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 12, 2020

Hi James,

welcome to Atlassian Community and thanks for bringing this challenging nuisance up.

A slow update of App is from my experience heavily depending on memory settings and of the daytime - especially meaning if people are currently using the system.

For updating Apps meanwhile I always would recommend announcing downtime as well as communicating the change log. Even in cases where no breaking changes were announces by the vendor there has been seen some - not for Automation but more speaking in general.

A good hint is to observer atlassian-jira.log when upgrading an App. This outputs lots of information to log - maybe you can gather details there on why it is stuck. Or - what me also left back wondering the first times I encountered it - it just takes the time it takes (depending on the power of the system and user activity, like said in the beginning).
30 minutes is not very common on the other hand and I would be curious if logs tell something specific.
Also of interest would be if this happens regularly on your system or if this is a current thing which after a clean reboot would not re-surface any further.

Cheers,
Daniel

Michiel Schuijer January 23, 2023

Hi, I know this is an old post, but we also experience this regularly on our Jira Data Center environment (v. 8.22.6), and mostly with the 'bigger' apps, like "Automation for Jira", "Structure", "ScriptRunner", etc.

I have had some success by disabling an App first, and then updating it, but that does not always guarantee it works as a recent example regarding Structure showed me (hanging for 30 minutes, failed and after a retry of another 20 minutes it finally succeeded).

We do this as much outside of 'business hours' as possible, to make sure the least amount of people are logged in and to minimize the performance impact. However, this is challenging due to our offices being around the world and many automated processes (service users) running, so we always see a couple of hundreds of users sessions anyway.

Still, with 4 nodes and not all of them fully in use, I wonder if this should be possible to improve?

'Clean reboot' of the Jira containers we run does not seem to change the time it takes.

Example when we disabled the Slack app and update it: total time to disable the app, update it and re-enable is ~2 minutes. Several other small apps behave similar and some larger one "Xray" took maybe ~5 minutes for the same process.

So, why are some taking longer or hanging, I don't know and the log entries don't really explain it for me.

Anyone still interested in taking a stab or able to provide insight?

Cheers

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events