Migrate from "Issue Checklist" Plugin to Checklist for Jira

Jan Emrich August 26, 2018

Hi.

We are moving from Jira Cloud to Server and have plenty checklists in our Issues. The Plugin Issue Checklist is not available for Server so I searched for an alternative.

Checklist for Jira looks really good. I was wondering if it would be possible to import the old checklists into the new Plugin?

Maybe someone did it before?

Thanks for your help,

Jan

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Yves Riel _Okapya_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 27, 2018

Hi Jan,

We do not have any mechanism for importing this data. However, if you have the data readily available in a format such as JSON then you could either use Groovyscript or our REST API to make the transfer. This of course will require you to write some scripts.

Regards,

Jan Emrich August 27, 2018

Hi Yves.

API sounds good. I'll try to figure out how to export in JSON or similar format and check if we can use it.

Thanks for your idea,

Jan

0 votes
Jack Hunter _HeroCoders_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 7, 2019

Hello All,

I'm Jack from the Issue Checklist team.

All the checklist items data from the Issue Checklist are stored in the custom field "Checklist Content YAML".

It means that after the migration to Jira Server, all the items are still there and no additional data copying is required. 

So, the only migration that needs to happen is from Jira custom field to the destination place, whatever it is. 

The checklist data can be read from the custom field using various mechanism, like JIRA REST API (get issue endpoint), Script Runner app, Power Scripts app, etc. 

I hope it helps.

Cheers,
Jack

Jan Emrich February 8, 2019

Hi Jack.

I did my migration in Aug 2018. Did it change? There was no custom field back then (or didn't we use this option to save the checklists?).

I was able to read via API if there is a checklist, but not the items.

@Patrick Chen I created a GitHub Repository with my small migration project, maybe it helps.

https://github.com/mehrkanal/checklist-import

Cheers,
Jan

Jack Hunter _HeroCoders_
Marketplace Partner
February 9, 2019

Hello Jan,

Indeed, in Aug 2018 the custom fields were not available by default (users had to create them manually).

We have automated all of that in November (version 1.8.20). The items are now available directly in Jira in the custom field, and they are migrated to Jira Server together with other data stored in an issue. 

Cheers,
Jack

0 votes
Jan Emrich September 14, 2018

I successfully imported all my checklists.

We parsed the xml file from the full backup and created the checklists and items via REST API.

Yves Riel _Okapya_
Marketplace Partner
September 14, 2018

That's a good and nice way of doing it. Thanks for sharing!

Patrick Chen February 7, 2019

Hi, our organization is in the same boat. We have a cloud Jira instance and have been using 'Issue Checklist'. We are now migrating to onprem Jira and are looking at 'Checklist for Jira' 

Could you provide some more guidance/tips for how to convert the existing checklists to 'Checklist for JIRA' before or after the migration process? Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events