Is it possible to assign multiple testers to a single test run?

Walid Ben Younes October 3, 2021

Hi all, 

We are new to Xray manuel test, we are trying to assign several testers to a single test run, but currently we can assign only one test to a test run

After clicking on the "Assign" option in the "Action" column, I see on the "Assign Test run" pop-up a list where I can select only one user :/ not our current need.
assign.png

At the same time, is it possible to prioritize (High, medium, low) steps and iterations of the same test run?
iteration_steps.png

thanks in advance 🙂

1 answer

0 votes
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 3, 2021

@Walid Ben Younes - hi Walid!

On the first question:

As you may know, Jira doesn't let you Assign an Issue to more than a single user.

Xray follows Jira's model of a single Assignee for its objects (including Tests). As a workaround, consider making a user to represent a group of users. For that user, set its email to an email distribution list. That will help inform the team about any work they need to do.

I recommend a single Assignee to reduce confusion: if multiple people were assigned to a task, how would you know who needs to action a task?

On the second question, I'm not aware of a way to add metadata to a Test Step, unfortunately.

Walid Ben Younes October 5, 2021

Hi Dave 👋

Thanks 🙏

We think dispatch tests for 2 or more testers because we have a test run contains 72 (24 iteration * 3 steps) case to test.

So, if one tester do that, he well take 3 days at least, or if 3 testers do that we spend only one day.

This is why we think assign more than one tester for only one test run.

For the second question, in the 72 test case, we have 51 case qualify in High priority, 11 in Medium and 10 Nice to have.

So we need execute firstly the 51 cases qualify in High, after we do the 11 medium cases and if we have more time we do the rest.

Thats why we need prioritize our 72 test case linked to only one test run.

Thanks again Sir 🤙

Rogério Paiva - Xray Xporter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 18, 2021

Hi @Walid Ben Younes 

About the assignee is like @Dave Liao said, Xray follows Jira's model, and the alternative is to use the method that Dave described.

About setting up priority in the iteration, it is not possible currently. An alternative could be to split the iterations into different Tests and set the priority a the Test level.

You may clone the Test case as many times as need to create several Test cases with different priorities (each with the iterations for that specific priority).

However, it will depend on the dataset you have and if you can separate the iteration by a smaller dataset for specific priorities. 

I hope this idea helps.

Thank you.

Kind regards,
Rogério Paiva [Xray Support Team]

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events