Is Answers available for installation on my own site/server?

Christian Christian October 16, 2011

More precisely: Is Answers available from Atlassian as a product or as open source?

4 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Jo-Anne MacLeod
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 16, 2011

Answers is powered by OSQA, an open source Django (Python). You can download that. Hang on while I find a link for you.

I think this is what you need, http://wiki.osqa.net/display/docs/Downloading+OSQA</span<>>

Christian Christian October 16, 2011

Thanks for the link. Since https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/ANSWERS exists I somehow assumed that Atlassian developed Answers themselves...

The link is broken in the original answer. Link should be:

http://wiki.osqa.net/display/docs/Downloading+OSQA

2 votes
Jeremy Largman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 16, 2011

Hi Christian,

Answers is powered by OSQA - you can see the link in the footer.

We've done a fair amount of customization to it, so if after looking at OSQA you're interested in Answers specifically, repost here and we'll start a side conversation via email.

Andrei [errno]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 16, 2011

can i join a side conversation as well?

Steve Daniels December 15, 2011

Any chance Atlassian would open up their repo for OSQA?

I'd love to get an instance of this up and running at our University.

Steve

Jeremy Largman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 15, 2011

I'm just reconsidering it now. We're looking through to make sure there are no security issues (or where there are, obfuscating them). I'll post back with an update.

Jeremy Largman
Atlassian Team
December 18, 2011

An update:

Right now, we've forked OSQA's main trunk, and won't release it publicly until we've put all our customizations into their own module. It seems like we'd be being a bad open source citizen to release a fork without an easy way to remove the Atlassian-specific customizations. We're going to focus on bug fixes, improvements to the UI, and integrations with plugins.atlassian.com, developer.atlassian.com, and support.atlassian.com first.

Opening the source is part of our values (Open Company, no BS), but it'll take some effort to get there. For now, please use OSQA's main distribution. We'll release the Atlassian package when we can. We're contributing bug fixes back to OSQA when we find them.

Jeff Putsch April 2, 2012

Jeremy,

Any further update on making Answers available. It is much nicer than OSQA and we'd love to be able to take advantage of some of the customizations.

Update... Nevermind. I see the answer to the question https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/35106/is-atlassian-answers-available-for-my-company-i-d-like-to-use-it-as-a-knowledge-base tells me you've put the code on bitbucket!

Thanks,

Jeff.

Jeremy Largman
Atlassian Team
April 4, 2012

Thanks for the push Jeff. I've gotten past any security issues, but I'm not yet there with stripping Atlassian from the theme. The trick here is that the customizations are such that you'd either (1) have to do a bunch to fix OSQA's default theme or (2) have to roll back a bunch of things in the Atlassian theme (like the header, footer, email templates etc which are all Atlassian-specific). I'm curious - Are you running OSQA yourself, with your own theme?

1 vote
O.J. Sousa Rodrigues January 30, 2013

The Repo https://bitbucket.org/jlargman/atlassian-osqa/ on Bitbucket is no longer avaiable.

Please make it possible for others to have access to the source.

Jeremy Largman
Atlassian Team
January 30, 2013

I had to remove it temporarily because of licensing. I'm working on reposting.

0 votes
Hung Dinh October 20, 2013

Hi Jeremy,
Is the source of this great customized OSQA now available for download. If you could share the source code, it will be of great contribution for the opensource community.

Jeremy Largman
Atlassian Team
October 22, 2013

We're now offering Confluence Questions. We offer open source licenses free of charge to open source organizations.

I don't expect us to publish the OSQA modifications as there are too many Atlassian-specific cusomizations deeply embedded at this point.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events