Insight - how to change status to not found for rows that aren't in any of input files any more?

Sanja Vukovic February 8, 2018

I populated host table with servers. I have 3 sources so far - windows servers, vmware scan and HCM scan.
After I update my table with new files after a while, I expect some servers will be gone and not present in any of these files. I want to change their status to "not found", since they are not found.
How to do that?
Thank you.

1 answer

1 vote
Rickard Hyllenstam February 8, 2018

Check the guide regarding General Import Concepts, https://documentation.riada.se/insight/latest/insight-manager-s-guide/import-and-synchronization/general-import-concepts

Find the part with "Missing Objects", there you have options how to deal with such cases. 

Also note how to deal with Threshold parameters (maybe it should only be updated if its not found for like 3 rounds, or a certain period of time..)

Br,

Rickard

Sanja Vukovic February 8, 2018

Neat! I selected "Update" option. I have 3 imports for 3 csv files that are updating the same table (object type).

1-Do I have to apply this to all 3 imports or it is enough to change that in only one of them.

2-If I choose 3 rounds, will it count and check all those 3 different imports?

3-When I import the same table from 3 source csvs is it possible to put it all in the same import to be sure that only those rows that are absent in all of those 3 are updated.

Alexander Sundström
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 15, 2018

1. Yes if you want to update the attribute, it has to be set for each import.

2. As the documentation mentions, this is about the number of (days or synchronizations) before acting on the missing objects

3. Each separate CSV needs it's own import, and the setting for handling missing object does not take other imports result into concern.

Best Regards
Alexander

Sanja Vukovic February 15, 2018

I'm sorry but I don't understand how to solve this issue.

1. OK

2. so each import has its own counter (days or syncs). if I choose 3 rounds, it will count only if the object is missing from that import after 3 rounds (regardless of other imports). if I chose 1 day than it will mark "not found" all servers from other imports that are not present in that import (althogh they are not ment to be present in that import). Is that true? Does it check only objects from that import or all objects in the table?

3. So if I have  n imports for n csv files, that are all updating the same table (object type) and they don't take each others import results into concern, how am I supposed to detect which server is not present any more in all of those imports (in order to change status to "Not found")?

Alexander Sundström
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 15, 2018

2. It will check if there is objects in Insight that is not found in the import, and if so, update the attribute. So in other word, it will check all objects for that object type.

3. As of today, that is not possible, as each import is not aware of the other imports result. However, it's worth mentioning that if an object has been updated as it's missing, and later found, the attribute will be cleared. So if you have one import setting the value to missing, and another one has it in it's import source, the attribute will be cleared again.

But that is not fixing the problem, as the result will depend on the order of execution of the imports, and it will not say anything about if it was found or not found in all imports, it will just state the result of the latest one.

One possible way of seeing if an object is not found in any import, would be to have a separate attribute for each import that is updated. 

I would like to recommend you to visit https://jira.riada.se which is our open ticket system for feature requests and verified bugs. You can view, watch, vote etc for issues reported by anyone.

If you can't find an already opened feature request for this, feel free to create a new one.

Best Regards
Alexander

Sanja Vukovic February 15, 2018

"One possible way of seeing if an object is not found in any import, would be to have a separate attribute for each import that is updated. " Can you explain this, please? What is the contents of these attributes? What they are used for?

To make things more complicated, those imports are partially overlapping since one is for windows servers, several are for vmware servers, and several are from HMC scan.
Maybe if I run all imports and make automation to change status to "Not found" if date time of last update is older than that. If I only knew how to do it.

When I try to filter by last update time, filter doesn't show what are those times.

Alexander Sundström
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 15, 2018

If you have an text attribut for each import added on the object type, that is updated if an object is not found, you'll see in what imports the object was found / not found in. That was the idea I had. 

As the progress of the imports isn't accessible through our JAVA Facade, it wouldn't be possible to create any script as you mentioned, as you would need to know when the latest import was run, to know what date to compare to.

This is something that could be changed in the future, but it's currently not available.

Best Regards
Alexander

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events