Insight custom field for Jira - Using multiple object schemas

szbalazs13 September 24, 2020

Dear All!

Is it possible somehow to use more than one object schema in an Insight custom field?

For example:

We have 2 object schemas: IT assets and Organization. The Organization stores the information of the employees, the assets contains asset types. The asset types have responsible groups and within the groups, responsible employees (referenced from the Organization schema

Lets say somebody creates an issue regarding an IT asset. Our goal is to create a custom field where one can choose the responsible person based on the asset type, so the custom field needs to have connection to the assets schema and the organization schema. After several attempts we couldn't figure out how to solve this use-case.

Do you have any idea?

Thank you

Balázs Szabó

2 answers

0 votes
Johannes Rudolf September 28, 2021

Hi @Sandra _Mindville_ ,

I came across this page with a similar requirement and was wondering if there isn't a different solution since it is preferred to report on one field and not multiple fields. In this case there are a couple of Insight custom fields with a number of choices:

• field A = Insight Referenced Object (single)
  • field B = Insight Object/s

Choices in field B depend on selection in field A. So far so good. Now the requirements have changed and one option in field A is related to a different object scheme. 

Selection in field A (1)  --> Object Schema 1

Selection in field A (2) --> Object Schema 2

I have heard (from a valued team mate) that one "can search for references in another schema itself. And build also cascading Insight custom field based on values from another Insight custom field."

The question is how can I achieve that? I am not super familiar with Insight but am eager to learn. Nonetheless I'd appreciate a few tips how to proceed.

Many thanks!

Johannes

0 votes
Sandra _Mindville_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 24, 2020

Hi Balázs

I would recommend two fields, one for the asset and one for the responsible person.

The responsible person field can have have a dependency on the asset field, meaning that the list of people in the responsible person field would only show a list of people with references to the selected asset.

Does that make sense to you?

Kind regards,
Sandra

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events