Insight REST API: Any good way to remove a single attribute value from a multi-value attribute?

MarkAustinP November 2, 2019

The scenario:

AD groups are synced into Insight object along with group members (which can be thousands of members).  Those group members (users, computers, and other AD groups) are objects of their own.  This means they must be referenced by their unique Insight object key's in order to ""Update"" an object attribute that is of type "object".

The problem:

According to the Insight documentation (https://documentation.riada.io/insight/latest/objects-rest-29324712.html), there is no native "Update" rest method defined for updating attribute values - only a "Put" method.  And the put method looks to only allow placing a value or multi-value in the attribute.  That means (in the scenario outlined above) that every time I need to add or remove a member of the multi-valued attribute to match actual membership from Active Directory, I have to OVERWRITE the entire attribute value with all members every time membership changes as opposed to just removing or adding a single value to the already-large number of values.  With AD groups sometimes having thousands of members, that JSON payload is quite silly huge and dynamically configuring the proper format with thousands of lines is not a fun task either.

With that said, does anyone have any recommendations on a simple way to simply add or remove a single (or a few) attribute values from a multi-valued object attribute?

Here's an AD group with 490 user members.  I want to remove 1 without sending a 489-valued json with a put method:

image.png

2 answers

1 vote
Nader Nassif
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 21, 2019

Hi @MarkAustinP 

With the current implementation of how the REST API works this is unfortunately the only way :(

We checked in the code, with the PUT implementation you cannot edit one value for cardinality. It is not supported.

However, Good news! We agree with the developers that this should be added as a feature request :)

We added ticket ICS-1409 for this request. Please upvote this ticket and you will receive more information on the release that contains this added feature automatically ;)

Cheers!

Nader

Team Riada

0 votes
Mauricio Heberle
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 24, 2022

Any updates on this matter? I am facing the same situation

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events